1Engineers Without Borders
Similar to ‘Doctors Without Borders’, there is an organization called Engineers Without Borders that works to improve infrastructure and engineering practices in developing countries.
2. There is a homeless shelter organization called "My Friend's Place" so that those in need don't also have to go through the embarrassment of telling others that they are homeless.
3. There is an organization called "419 Eaters" that is dedicated to wasting the scammers' time by pretending to fall for their scams.
4. The Ring Finders is a worldwide organization of metal-detection enthusiasts who recover lost items at little to no cost. Members have about an 80% success rate at finding lost keys, rings, cellphones, time capsules, burial urns and more.
5. Scientific-Humanitarian Committee is the world's first pro-LGBT organization that was found in 1897 in current Germany. They sought to repeal a law that criminalized sex between males and amongst the people that signed their petition was Albert Einstein.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
6House With A Heart
There is a non-profit organization called "House With A Heart" that takes in and cares for senior dogs, many with special needs, that have been abandoned by their owners. The facility operates as a hospice, seeing to it that older dogs are not consigned to dying in shelters, or worse.
7. The International Dark-Sky Association is an organization dedicated to fighting light pollution and preserving the night sky in areas around the planet called dark sky reserves.
8. There is an organization called Think Before You Pink which warns you of other organizations that are profiting from Breast Cancer Awareness.
9. There is a cryptic organization called Cicada 3301 that posts challenging puzzles and games online, possibly to recruit codebreakers and linguists.
10. There is an organization called the National Odd Shoe Exchange where you can send and receive shoes if your feet are different sizes.
11Wine to Water
There is an organization that utilizes wine tastings to dig wells in Africa. They call themselves Wine to Water.
12. The Eve Appeal is a UK organization that raises awareness about gynecological cancers. It found that only half of women aged 26- 35 were able to label the vagina accurately.
13. There is a non-profit organization called B612 which is dedicated to defending the Earth against asteroids.
14. The first fraternal organization to be chartered by an act of US Congress was the Knights of Pythias, a still-active secret society with the motto "Friendship, Charity, Benevolence." Notable Knights include Franklin D. Roosevelt and Louis Armstrong.
15. There is an organization of US military veterans called VETPAW that's helping anti-poaching efforts in African wildlife parks. They train park rangers for free and help them track, identify and arrest poachers using tactics they learned while deployed.
The Phoebus Cartel was a secret organization which intentionally shortened the lifespan of light bulbs to force consumers to buy bulbs more often.
17. The Violins of Hope is an organization that finds and restores violins owned by Jews during the Holocaust. They are used for performances around the world to " make their voices heard."
18. There is an adoption organization that looks to re-home adopted children who are being put up for adoption, again. These are called “second chance adoptions” and are “designed to help children find the best family for their needs.”
19. The American Institute in Taiwan is a quasi-consular organization that exists because the China requires countries with diplomatic relations with them to not recognize Taiwan. The American ambassadors that are assigned there become “Chairmen” of the institute and are not recognized by the Foreign Service.
20. The Free Little Library organization encompasses over 80,000 locations in 91 countries. This service allows any individual or organization to set up a public book sharing station where community members can freely give or take books.
21Some Dogs Are Angels
An organization called 'Some Dogs Are Angels' led by Mark Starner and his family, active mainly in North America, rescued 65 specific dogs which they call "avatars", believing that they are angels in animal form. Mark believes himself to be a "messenger for beings of light."
22. An organization called the Indian Ambulance Corps that was formed by Gandhi acted as stretcher-bearers during the Second Boer War in South Africa.
23. Lei of Aloha is an organization that sends a mile-long lei as a memorandum of Aloha for those affected by tragic events. They delivered a lei to Paris, Orlando, and Las Vegas after their shooting. For Las Vegas, they sent a lei 2 miles long.
24. The largest youth organization in the USA is the National FFA Organization, with over 600,000 student members. It is an organization based on middle school and high school classes that promote agricultural education.
25. The Brotherhood of Eternal Love was an organization of drug users and distributors that operated from the mid-1960s through the late 1970s in Orange County, California. They produced and distributed drugs in hopes of starting a "psychedelic revolution" in the United States.