1Egyptian Pregnancy Test
Ancient Egyptians used the urine from a pregnant woman to germinate seeds to determine the sex of the child. If barley sprouted first, then it was to be a boy. If wheat sprouted first, then it was to be a girl.
2. The urine of ginger boys was prized in medieval Europe for making stained glass.
3. During WW1 Canadian soldiers used urine-soaked clothes as primitive respirators against chemical attacks. The ammonia in urine would react with the chlorine, neutralizing it, and then the water would dissolve the chlorine, allowing soldiers to breathe through the gas.
4. There is a medical disorder in infants called “Maple Syrup Urine Disease,” where the child's urine smells like maple syrup or burnt sugar and it can be fatal.
5. In the 1950s, physicians performed accurate pregnancy tests by injecting urine from the supposedly pregnant women into a frog. If the frog produced eggs within 24 hours, the test was positive.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Asparagus was once included in the emergency ration kits given to American pilots because it made their urine attractive to fish, making them easier to catch.
7. In 1997, Mötley Crüe released a soda called "Mötley Brüe", which promised to turn urine blue.
8. Russian cosmonauts have the tradition of urinating on the right rear wheel of the transfer bus before liftoff. Female cosmonauts are excused, but some dash a cup of their own urine in solidarity.
9. There is a traditional dish from Dongyang, China, which is still made today, called Virgin Boy Eggs. Eggs are boiled, soaked and cured in the urine of kids under the age of 10. When they're done, the yokes are green. They are about twice the price of normal eggs.
10. NASA created a machine that recycles astronauts’ urine into drinking water and launched it aboard Space Shuttle Endeavor to the International Space Station. The recycled water is pure than the U.S. tap water. The system recycles about 93 percent of the water it receives and produces about 6,000 pounds of potable water each year.
The Rotterdam Zoo in the Netherlands once called in police officers after reports of a strong marijuana smell, only to find out it was caused by the zoo's maned wolves, whose urine smells like cannabis.
12. Human kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking seawater, you have to urinate more water than you drank. Eventually, you die of dehydration as you become thirstier.
13. The National Trust implores us to stop urinating in a toilet, in order to save the water used in flushing, and instead pee onto compost heaps, which speeds up the chemical process of decomposition, making it a better fertilizer to grow vegetables and save even more energy in reducing food miles.
14. One of the methods used for identifying witches in the Salem Witch Trials was to bake affected girl’s urine in a cake, feed it to a dog, and the controlling witch would then supposedly cry out in pain.
15. The amniotic fluid that surrounds an unborn baby is mostly just fetal urine.
16Cow Urine Pigment
One of the rarest pigments to be produced is a yellow, which is made from the dried urine of cows that are specifically only fed a diet of mango leaves.
17. 'Male menstruation' which was considered a normal part of growing up in the 20th-century Egyptian culture, was actually caused by an endemic parasitic bladder infection from schistosomes, which resulted in bloody urine.
18. The tip of a human penis has a cavity designed to make the urine stream spiral instead of a spray. It's called the navicular fossa.
19. Morarji Desai, the 4th Prime Minister of India, was an avid practitioner of urine therapy and attributed his longevity to drinking urine - which he called the "water of life'' - at least twice every day.
20. Baby squirrels pee and poop in their mother's mouth so that the mother can dispose of the waste outside the nest in order to keep predators from smelling the scent.
Urea, a common byproduct of urine, is a common ingredient in many skincare products.
22. The eye redness and irritation while swimming in a pool isn't caused by chlorine. It's caused by chloramines, a compound which is the chemical product of ammonia in sweat and urine reacting with chlorine.
23. Due to their tight schedules, there is a growing menace of truckers in the USA throwing out gallon jugs of urine and bags filled with feces out their windows.
24. 10-20% of Americans and a higher percentage of Europeans are infected with a brain parasite from cats that makes them 2.5 times more likely to get in a car accident, change personality traits, contribute to schizophrenia, and cause sexual attraction to cat urine.
25. Many BPA-free plastics contain BPS, a similar chemical that can affect cells in the same way. About 81% of Americans have BPS in their urine.