Joan Rivers was a regular guest host who was banned from The Tonight Show after a falling out with Johnny Carson after Rivers accepted a hosting gig on FOX. In 2014, Fallon invited her back to "Tonight", 49 years to the day after her first appearance. She died 6 months later.
27. A recalled obesity drug, fenfluramine, had a remarkable effect on a boy with autism. Before taking fenfluramine, Joshua's I.Q. was so low it could not be measured. After, he was able to read and do maths at a 4th-grade level.
28. When Carl Jung (Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst) and Sigmund Freud (Austrian neurologist) met for the first time, they talked for 13 hours straight.
29. Adolf Hitler was nicknamed "Teppichfresser", behind his back by party leaders. He would have nervous breakdowns over Czechoslovakia and hurl himself onto the ground to start chewing on his carpet.
30. Brad Pitt's younger brother, Douglas Pitt, is the first American to have scaled Mount Kilimanjaro and descended on a mountain bike.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
The Iranian Embassy in Washington, D.C. in the 1970s was an extravagant nonstop party-house that attracted movie stars, politicians, and socialites alike to partake in endless decadence and hedonism, from champagne and caviar to sexual favors and recreational drugs.
32. Empty skies after 9/11 caused a measured change in temperatures due to lack of jet contrails in the sky.
33. Tom Berenger once owned a restaurant called Twins, where the waitstaff consisted of 29 sets of identical twins.
34. There is a reason for peeling stripes on a cucumber beside making it look fancy. The skin is slightly bitter and can overwhelm the mellow flesh part. Removing a portion of it, reduces the bitterness without taking away all the flavor and nutrients.
35. Los Angeles and its suburbs, home to 19 million people, is the only megacity in the world where mountain lions live side by side with humans.
Ultrapure water is so pure that it will take minerals out of your body and can possibly kill you if you drink enough.
37. The French dip sandwich originated from Los Angeles, United States, where French refers to the style of bread and not the birthplace.
38. The song "Monster Mash" was banned by the BBC in 1962 for "being too morbid".
39. Stephen King novels "IT" and "The Shining" are set in the same universe. The character Dick Hallorann that is the head chef of the Overlook hotel in The Shining, very briefly appears as a character in IT.
40. Len, the band that recorded "Steal My Sunshine," had a $100,000 budget for the music video and spent so much of it on alcohol that they broke the hotel service elevator trying to lift it all.
The Jetsons/Flintstones theory: The theory states that The Jetsons live in the past while The Flintstones live in the future. Because of nuclear fallout, people were forced to build a city in the sky. After the Earth recovered years later, people reclaimed it, resulting in the Flintstones time.
42. In 1953, an Anglican priest founded the Samaritans, the world's first crisis suicide hotline. He was inspired to do so after serving the funeral of a 14-year-old girl who committed suicide because she had begun to menstruate and feared that she had a sexually transmitted disease.
43. Italian footballer Mario Balotelli was asked by a reporter why he refused to celebrate his goals. He responded: "Because I'm only doing my job. When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"
44. Woolly mammoths still walked the Earth during the construction of the Great Pyramids in Egypt.
45. Jupiter's center of gravity between itself and the Sun is outside of the Sun's surface. So technically, they are in a mutual orbit around each other, just around a point extremely close to the Sun.
A Russian billionaire named Dmitry Itskov is working on a project known as the 2045 initiative with the end goal of it being to create a complete working model of a person's brain and putting it in a robotic body. He hopes of completing it by 2045.
47. Britain has not been successfully invaded in 951 years.
48. Emilia Clarke once did a cameo for Futurama, playing a character that didn't have a sense of smell and fell in love with Zoidberg.
49. In 2017, a chess grandmaster (Hou Yifan) threw the final round of a tournament in protest of having repeatedly been made to play women. She turned down the chance to defend her women’s world title to play mixed matches and randomly drew 7 women out of 10 rounds. The 5 move loss is the quickest ever by a grandmaster.
50. Giraffes aren't all the same species. There are actually 4 genetically distinct species of giraffe.
Not a picture of King Edward VIII.
Thank you for pointing it out. We have changed the pic.
Shade balls’ function in reservoirs is to eliminate the formation of bromate due to bromide and chlorine reacting to sunlight therefore forming bromate. Eliminate the sun & bromate does not form. They are black to block out all light from hitting the water.
Other uses are to eliminate birds near airports and other water sources.