26Honey Nut Cheerios
The "nut" in "Honey Nut Cheerios" used to be ground almonds in the recipe but is now made from natural almond flavoring which is typically manufactured not from almonds, but from peach pits.
27. A lemonade tree is a real thing, and it bears fruit that naturally tastes like lemonade.
28. Wild bananas are full of seeds and the ones we eat have been specially bred over the years to be seedless.
29. There was 'Banana massacre' in 1928. About 3000 striking workers were killed by colombian forces, after the US threatened to invade if they would not protect american interests.
30. There is a fruit that looks like a strawberry but tastes just like a pineapple. The name of that fruit is "Pineberry".
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Figs are considered by some to not be vegan. When pollinated by a female fig-wasp, the fig's inward facing flowers trap the wasp, and her corpse is digested by enzymes in the fig.
32. Through a process called grafting, a single tree (Tree of 40 Fruit) has been developed that produces over 40 different kinds of fruit, including peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines and cherries.
33. Coffee comes from an edible fruit. The coffee cherry is sweet and tastes like watermelon, rosewater, and hibiscus all at once.
34. Bananas have more trade regulations than AK-47s.
35. The avocado evolved to appeal to extinct megafauna (e.g. the giant armadillo) in order to facilitate seed dispersal via ingestion and excretion. This is why the avocado has such a sizeable seed.
Cashews, pistachios, and mangoes are all in the same family of plant, meaning people with nut allergies often react to mango as well.
37. Ethyl Formate, the chemical that gives raspberries their flavor has been found emanating from dust clouds in space.
38. Chad has the world's healthiest diet even though it is an extremely poor nation. It has access to vegetables, fruits, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, whole grains, and fish, but almost no availability of processed meat and sugary beverages, or foods containing trans fats or sodium.
39. There is a fruit by the name of Black Sapote or "chocolate pudding fruit", which tastes like chocolate pudding and is actually low in fat and has about "4 times as much vitamin C as an orange".
40. There is a "Fruit Salad Tree" which can grow up to 6 different types of fruit.
It's a bad idea to use a banana for scale when taking pictures of a beehive, since the alarm pheromone to alert bees to defend their hive smells like bananas.
42. In Ancient Greece, throwing an apple at somebody meant to declare your love to them.
43. We get the word "orange" from the fruit, not vice versa, and that the colour was called "yellow-red" before we discovered the fruit.
44. All Hass avocados (the ones you get in grocery stores) descended from a single tree in California, which was planted using unknown seeds.
45. A Greek philosopher named Chrysippus died of laughter after he saw a donkey eating his figs.
Orange juice tastes bad after brushing because toothpaste blocks your sweet taste receptors due to a foaming agent that changes the permeability of your tongue cells.
47. The second person (Bobby Leach) ever to go down Niagra Falls in a barrel survived the feat. Later, he tripped on an orange peel and died.
48. Roses produce fruit (Rosehips).
49. Drinking watermelon juice before a workout helps reduce muscle soreness.
50. It's very common for people in Japan to peel grapes before eating them, due to a perception that the skins are dirty and/or bitter.