Howard Lutnick (American businessman) donated more than $65 million to Haverford College because when he lost both his parents to cancer the college was understanding and let him go tuition-free all 4 years.
2. Dr. Seuss cheated on his wife while she had cancer. His wife killed herself after finding out about the affair. Dr. Seuss later married his mistress.
3. A woman (registered nurse) was watching the show "Flip or Flop" on HGTV and noticed a lump on host's neck. She emailed the production company to make them aware of it. The host ended up having thyroid cancer and didn't know.
4. Masturbating more than 21 times a month can actually decrease your chance of prostate cancer. This was discovered after testing to see if increased masturbation was linked to an increase in prostate cancer.
5. Researchers have developed a blood test that can detect if a person has cancer from a single drop of blood with 96% certainty for most cancer types.
In 1952, sensational claims that smoking causes cancer caused Kent cigarettes to come out with an asbestos filter to protect its smokers.
7. Pixar granted the wish of 10-year-old Colby Curtin to see "UP" movie before she died of cancer. A Pixar employee flew to the Curtin's house with a DVD of the finished film and screened it for her and her family. Curtin died seven hours later at 9:20 pm, shortly after seeing the film.
8. Leo Szilard (Hungarian-born American physicist) conceived the nuclear chain reaction, the nuclear reactor, and wrote the letter suggesting the Manhattan Project, which Einstein signed. After being diagnosed with bladder cancer, he designed his own radiation therapy which led to a full recovery.
9. In 2003, a teen with cancer named Sean Flanagan died because his naturopathic doctor assured his parents that he will cure his cancer with photoluminescence, i.e., taking a vial of blood from him, exposing it to ultraviolet light from a device, injecting the treated blood back in a hydrogen peroxide solution. He died 9 days later.
10. George Wallace was the famed segregationist governor of Alabama, who got his wife (Lurleen Wallace) elected to subvert term limits. To do so, he hid her cancer diagnosis from her, lest treatment adversely affect her campaign. The first female Governor of Alabama died less than 200 days into her term.
Paul McCartney elected not to tell his wife Linda, as her cancer progressed, that she was dying, thinking that doing so wouldn't do any good. She continued riding her horse until the day before her death.
12. Bob Marley could have halted the spread of his cancer but refused to have his toe amputated due to religious reasons.
13. C.S. Lewis (British novelist) entered a civil marriage with a woman named Joy Davidman so she could avoid deportation. Then, after she developed terminal cancer, they eventually fell in love and re-married while she was in the hospital. They were married for 3 years before she passed away.
14. A man named Billy Owen lost an eye and half his face to cancer, and used it to start a career as a zombie actor.
15. After the death of his wife from breast cancer, actor Rick Moranis began an 18-year-long hiatus from acting to raise his children.
There are more skin cancer cases attributed to tanning beds than lung cancer cases attributed to smoking.
17. The rate of lung cancer is lower in Japan than in the US despite a higher percentage of smokers in Japan. This is known as Japanese Smoking paradox
18. There are "cancer villages" in China, where residents are hundreds of times more susceptible to cancer due to pollution.
19. After losing his wife from breast cancer, a 57-year-old man named Terry Hitchcock with a prior heart attack attempted to run 75 marathons in 75 consecutive days for single parent awareness. He succeeded.
20. Psy was sentenced to 25 days in jail for marijuana possession and as a result was unable to be with his grandfather when he lost his battle with cancer, or attend his funeral.
A guy named Stamatis Moraitis diagnosed with cancer was told he had 6 months to live. He went back to the doctors 10 years later to tell them that he's still alive only to find out that the doctors who diagnosed him were all dead. He died 102 years old.
22. Richard Harris (original Dumbledore) trolled diners and said "It was the food!" as he was being taken from his hotel on a stretcher shortly before he died of cancer.
23. Researchers have taken the HIV virus, modified it and then used it to reprogram cancer patients' white blood cells to attack and completely kill off cancer.
24. The "Stroke Belt" is a region of the South Eastern U.S. with unusually higher rates of diabetes, stroke and lung cancer than the rest of the country.
25. An 18-year-old teenager named Elana Simon helped scientists study her own rare type of cancer, and together they discovered a gene flaw possibly involved in the disease's growth.