Lyme Disease is far less prevalent on the west coast of the US thanks, in part, to the Western Fence Lizard which carries a protein that cures the disease in the ticks that bite them, thereby reducing the probability of infection to humans and other tick hosts.
2. Resignation Syndrome is an illness where children who have experienced great trauma and uncertainty slip into a coma-like state for months or years at a time.
3. A boy named Hamish Robinson from United Kingdom is the only person in the world to have a condition called Hamish Syndrome (named after him). This condition causes one of his kidneys to be located in his leg. Both kidneys are fully functional and this condition is believed to be caused by a missing chromosome named 7p22.1.
4. Scurvy was documented as a disease by Hippocrates, and Egyptians have recorded its symptoms as early as 1550 BC. The knowledge that consuming foods containing vitamin C is a cure for scurvy has been repeatedly rediscovered and forgotten into the early 20th century.
5. There is a disease named Superior Canal Dehiscence that affects the inner ear and amplifies all internal sounds. It gets to the point where the sound of the eyeballs moving in their sockets sounds like "sandpaper on wood."
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
Naegleriasis is a near-fatal disease caused by a small amoeba. It is quite rare but out of 450 cases in the last 60 years, only 7 have survived. It is essentially a brain-eating amoeba that is transmitted via contaminated water.
7. There was a mysterious disease named Lytico-bodig disease that existed in Guam. It was the leading cause of adult death between 1945 and 1956. Fruit bats were part of the local diet at the time and became extinct as a result of overhunting. A decline in fruit bat consumption led to a decline in the incidence of the disease.
8. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is one of the few diseases with no cure and a 100% fatality rate. It is the human equivalent of Mad Cow disease and 70% of people with it die within a year. Nobody has lived past 2.5 years after the symptoms set in.
9. Urinary tract infections can cause dementia symptoms in the elderly with none of the usual UTI symptoms.
10. The reason you can't get chickenpox twice is because the virus never leaves your body.
Leprosy doesn't cause body parts to be damaged or fall off. Instead, the disease damages one's ability to feel pain, causing common accidents to become more damaging. In addition to this, leprosy is only mildly contagious and more than 95% of the world's population are naturally immune.
12. Laron Syndrome is a genetic disorder that results in a highly decelerated rate of aging and near immunity to cancer and diabetes.
13. 20% of Legionnaires disease in the United Kingdom is caused by people using water instead of windshield washing fluid.
14. People who are susceptible to Hay Fever can experience a short term burning or itchy sensation when eating Fruit, due to "Oral Allergy Syndrome", in which your body reacts to something it mistakenly believes is pollen.
15. Sleeping Beauty Syndrome is an extremely rare illness, which causes episodes of being mostly asleep for weeks at a time. If awake during an episode, sufferers are confused about what is real and what is a dream. The condition appears in adolescence and resolves itself 10-15 years later.
16Uncombable Hair Syndrome
The Uncombable Hair Syndrome (UHS), as its name says, makes the hair of people suffering from it impossible to comb, due to the triangular shape of the hair shaft.
17. Wendigo psychosis is a disorder, historically reported among native people in Canada, in which a person feels the need to consume human flesh. In 1878, a man suffering from it named Swift Runner killed and ate his family despite food supplies being available at a nearby outpost.
18. Stroke victims with partial facial paralysis can lose the ability to voluntarily smile on half their face, but can still fully smile when laughing at a joke.
19. East Asians have their own specific syndrome, called “Asian Flush Reaction.” It causes their face to turn red after consuming alcoholic drinks. 36% of East Asians have this syndrome.
20. People diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease may lose the ability to smell peanut butter. The “Peanut Butter Test” may offer an early indication of the disease.
21X-linked Dystonia Parkinsonism
There is a rare degenerative muscle movement disorder called "X-linked Dystonia Parkinsonism" which almost exclusively affects only males from Panay Island in the Phillipines. It is thought to have originated from a genetic mutation introduced by ethnic groups over 2 millennia ago.
22. Diarrhea kills more children than AIDS, malaria, and measles combined. The depletion of bodily fluids from Diarrhea can cause “profound” dehydration, killing thousands of kids every day.
23. Tuberculosis is responsible for 1 in 7 deaths in all human history and a quarter of all humans alive today are infected, with over a million deaths a year and 1 every 18 seconds.
24. Some people with schizophrenia have a type of disordered speech that makes them sound like Dr. Seuss. It's called 'Clanging.'
25. Objective Tinnitus is a form of tinnitus in which the sound produced by oscillation in the ear can actually be heard outside of the ear (i.e. by other people).