In the UK ballpoint pens are called biros after their inventor, Laszlo Biro. He fled to Argentina in 1938 to avoid Nazi persecution and made pens for the Royal Air Force during World War 2.
2. King George V of England had a dragon tattoo on his arm.
3. Narcissistic personality disorder is a personality disorder in which there is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings.
4. Queen Elizabeth II was one of the first heads of state to send an e-mail. The year was 1976. Her username was "HME2" or Her Majesty, Elizabeth II.
5. The worst maritime disaster in US history. On April 27, 1865. 3 of the 4 boilers on the steamboat Sultana exploded, killing 1196 people. The boat was 1779 people over capacity. The disaster is mostly overlooked due to John Wilkes Booth being killed the previous day.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
6Racial restrictive covenants
Seattle has so few African Americans downtown due to racially restrictive covenants which lasted well into 1960 preventing minorities from owning homes in certain neighborhoods.
7. In 1959, nine ski hikers died mysteriously in the Ural mountains after fleeing their camp. Their deaths were never solved, and theories for the cause range from bear or yeti attacks to avalanches and military testing.
8. The first woman millionaire in the US was Sara Breedlove. In the 1890's she made her fortune by selling hair products designed and marketed for black women.
9. A man named George with severe OCD and a phobia of germs attempted to commit suicide at the age of 19 via a gunshot wound to the head. Instead of killing him, the bullet eliminated his mental illness without any other brain damage.
10. Gandhi often slept and bathed naked with other women including a grandniece and the wife of his grandnephew, who were both 18 when they started sleeping in the same bed as Gandhi, who was 77 years old at the time.
In 1860, 1 out of every 7 Americans were slaves to another American.
12. Scotland Yard was originally built upon the location where body parts of an unsolved murder of a woman were found, whose uterus was expertly removed, a particular trait of the depraved killer Jack the Ripper.
13. Popcorn kernels that don't pop are called "old maids" because they lack the necessary moisture to pop.
14. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas did not grow up speaking English. Instead, he spoke a creole language known as Gullah that began among coastal slave communities. Thomas has said the reason he rarely speaks publicly because he does not want any traces of it to come out in his speech.
15. Native Americans have Three Sisters Soup from their Three Sisters Agriculture from growing squash, climbing beans and corn together. The corn grows up, the climbing beans grow up the stalks, and the squash grows across the ground, covering all the roots and protecting them.
The allies used a ghost inflatable army to trick Hitler's forces.
17. Amish businesses have a 95% success rate at staying open at least five years.
18. Central Park's estimated real-estate value is over $500,000,000,000.
19. Apple made retailers buy iMacs in "five-packs, one in each color," so that Apple wouldn't get stuck with the unpopular colors.
20. Theodore Roosevelt, under threat of a bully at a bar and with a gun pointed at him, is told to make the man a drink, to this he stands up and says ‘Well, if I’ve got to, I’ve got to,’ and throws a right hook, knocking the man down. The bully later left town on a train.
Some tarantulas keep frogs as pets so they will eat insects that burrow into their nest.
22. During World War 2, a Polish Catholic social worker named Irena Sendler saved 2,500 Jewish children from death. That’s more than the 1,200 saved by Oscar Schindler. She was recognized by Yad Vashem in 1965 as one of the Righteous Among Nations (a non-Jew who saved Jews during the Holocaust).
23. Certain types of music can reduce anxiety in dogs, which can be useful during fireworks, thunderstorms, and separation. In a study when solo piano at 50-60 bpm was played, 85% became calmer, and over half of the dogs went to sleep.
24. In 2015, a dinosaur with bat-like wing membrane was discovered, becoming the closest thing to a dragon/wyvern currently discovered.
25. A Coastal Village In India has been making large boats for rich Arabs for over 1500 years. The boats are made from no written schematics.