95% of those of European origin can trace their maternal roots to one of seven women who lived between 10,000 and 45,000 years ago.
2. Nearly half of all airline pilots admit to falling asleep during a flight and 29% of these pilots reported waking up and seeing everyone else in the cabin asleep as well.
3. Air Force learned that by flying its C-17s in a large V formation similar to geese, they saved more than 10% of fuel, which would be millions of dollars.
4. Approximately 80% of current US astronauts wear eye correction (i.e. glasses or contact lenses). As long as the astronauts' vision is correctable to 20/20, they are allowed to fly.
5. About 53% of the people who live in Fiji don’t have access to clean, safe water yet Fiji water is the nation’s largest export.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
The United States experiences approximately 75% of all tornadoes in the world.
7. About 95% of the Mongols are lactose intolerant yet eat a diet that consists heavily of dairy products.
8. About 33% of the men in Britain aged between 35 and 60 years are unable to see their penis due to obesity.
9. About 80% of the peanut butter sold in the U.S. is creamy. Only 17% is crunchy.
10. Around 45% of couples in Hong Kong say they have given up on the idea of having children because of crowding and high housing costs. In another survey, 38% of men and 31% of women simply said they didn’t like kids.
More than 90% of the monarch butterfly population has vanished in the last 25 years.
12. Attaching green LED lights to nets used by small-scale fisherman can reduce the number of green sea turtle deaths by 64%, without affecting the number of fish caught.
13. Around 10-20% of Americans and a higher percent of Europeans are infected with a brain parasite (Toxoplasma gondii) from cats that makes them 2.5 times more likely to get in a car accident, changes personality traits, contributes to schizophrenia, and may cause sexual attraction to cat urine.
14. The majority of Darwin Award winners, nearly 90% are male.
15. The average NFL player’s career lasts about 3 years and nearly 80% of the NFL players go bankrupt within 3 years of retirement.
40% of Cambodians suffer psychological problems as a result of the Khmer Rouge massacre that killed a third of its population between 1975 and 1979.
17. Over 20% of all calories collectively consumed by humanity are from a single food, rice.
18. 99% of vanilla-flavored products on the market, from vanilla-flavored vodka to vanilla wafers and vanilla pudding, don’t actually contain vanilla, since it is the world's second most expensive spice. Artificial vanilla essence is used instead.
19. Studies have found that a mild electric shock to a person’s brain can improve their math skills for up to 6 months. This could help treat nearly 20% of the population with moderate to severe dyscalculia (math disability).
20. On average, the center of gravity is about 3% higher in black population than whites. This partially explains why blacks are better sprinters and whites are better swimmers.
Inadequate handwashing contributes to nearly 50% of all food-borne illness outbreaks.
22. China accounts for 40% of tobacco consumption worldwide. About 52% of adult Chinese men smoke cigarettes.
23. When cooking in a cast-iron skillet, the amount of iron in the food may increase by 850%.
24. A person with a one-hour commute has to earn 40% more money to be as satisfied with life as someone who walks to the office.
25. Alcohol consumption in Manhattan in the week after 9/11 increased by 25% compared to the same period the year before. Tobacco consumption rose by 10%, marijuana consumption by 3.2%, and church and synagogue attendance by 20%.