Consuming even 15 milligrams of the chemical element Tellurium can cause your sweat and breath to smell like garlic for up to 8 months.
2. The "Old People Smell" is caused by a molecule called 2-Nonenal, the production of which increases in your body as you age.
3. Wolverines are being trained to find and rescue avalanche survivors because they are naturally inclined to sniff out animals 20 feet below the snow and eat them.
4. The scent given off by each person's unique immune system is the second-most important criteria (after disposition) women use to assess potential partners. Women are more likely to find people attractive who have with immune systems unlike their own.
5. An elephant's ability to smell water is so refined that they can sometimes detect water sources up to 12 miles (19.2 km) away.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
Dying stars cause space to smell like "hot metal, diesel fumes, and barbecue." Astronauts have also compared the smell of the moon to "spent gunpowder."
7. Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the odor of farts smell good so that farting in public will become socially acceptable. He wanted flatulence to be "as agreeable as perfumes."
8. A male emperor moth can smell a female emperor moth from up to 7 miles away.
9. You shouldn't use Calvin Klein's "Obsession" scent when you are on a Safari. Cheetahs, Tigers, Jaguars and other wild cats are attracted by it. Scientists use it to count the population of these animals better.
10. The smell of coffee reduces the stress caused by sleep deprivation and damage caused by stress.
In 2012, Dunkin Donuts in South Korea started spraying coffee aroma (Flavor Radio) into public buses every time their jingle played. After this marketing campaign, Dunkin' Donuts reported a 16% increase in visitors to stores near bus stops and a 29% increase in their coffee sales
12. The coffee company 'Nescafe' added a formulated coffee aroma to the top of their instant coffee jars before sealing them, so that you can get that 'fresh coffee' smell when you open the jar for the first time.
13. Consuming asparagus affects the smell of human urine. Only 22% of the human population have the gene to smell it.
14. The loss of sense of smell predicts death more accurately than a diagnosis of cancer, heart failure or lung disease, the only other common cause of predicting it more accurately being severe liver damage. Losing one's sense of smell strongly predicts death within five years.
15. Disney developed a signature scent for Norway in Epcot. It's called Laila and smells like airy mountains. The perfume is sprayed throughout the day in the pavilion.
Petrichor is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. It is a combination of plant oils and the chemical Geosmin. Research has shown that when the raindrops hit the ground, they trap tiny air bubbles, which then shoot upwards creating an aerosol.
17. European Nutella has a stronger chocolatey aroma and is different from American Nutella.
18. Putting dry tea bags in smelly running shoes or gym bags will absorb the unpleasant odor.
19. When people say they can smell a storm coming, they are smelling ozone which is pulled from higher altitudes by the coming storm's downdrafts.
20. Most birds lack a strong sense of smell and mother birds will not abandon their younglings if they are handled by a human.
The Beatles concerts were said to smell heavily of urine due to overexcited girls.
22. The oldest perfume factory in the world was unearthed in Cyprus in 2004-05. It dated back to the Bronze Age, around 4,000 years ago, and it covered an estimated surface area of over 4,000m², indicating that their perfume manufacturing was on an industrial scale.
23. The Samurais of Japan used to burn incense in their helmets so that their heads would smell sweet if they were ever to be decapitated.
24. The “pool smell” does not come from chlorine, but chloramines, which are created when chlorine reacts with human sweat, oil or urine that enters swimming pools from the bodies of swimmers.
25. Farts smell worse in the shower because our nose works better in high heat and humidity.