Rosalind Franklin is the unsung hero of DNA research. Her X-ray Crystallography allowed her colleagues Watson and Crick to accurately characterize the double helix. Many believe she should’ve shared in their Nobel prize.
2. In 2016, a teenage hacker named Jacob Ajit figured out how to get free data on his phone, simply by visiting any URL containing "/speedtest".
3. 90% of Chinese teenagers and young adults suffer from myopia (short-sightedness). It was 10-20% 60 years ago.
4. Keanu Reeves came to the aid of Oscar-winning actress Octavia Spencer when she first moved to Los Angeles and was stranded on the side of the road.
5. French is an official language in 29 countries which makes it 2nd to English in terms of official language status.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
Our bodies, when healthy, produce 1 to 1.5 liters of mucus every day. Most of it trickles down our throat unnoticed.
7. 36% of Asians have Alcohol Flush Reaction. They are more probable to get cancer from drinking alcohol as well as it causing more minor symptoms such as nausea, headache, and discomfort.
8. George R.R. Martin is a big fan of football, but not of Coach Belichick and the Patriots. In "A Dance with Dragons", he even references the 2007 Superbowl where the Patriots fell after a perfect season to the Giants, naming a character "Belichio" who gets eaten by giants.
9. The late Richard Jolly, a British Army surgeon in the Falklands conflict, saved every life under his care, both British and Argentine. He was the only man decorated by both Britain and Argentina for his services in the war.
10. Human saliva contains a magical chemical compound called Opiorphin, a painkiller six times more powerful than Morphine.
Ben Affleck, a Boston Red Sox fan, caused the production of Gone Girl to shut down for 4 days because he refused to wear a New York Yankees cap on screen.
12. In 2004, WB aired a spoof TV show called Superstar USA. The premise was to find the worst singer, unknown to the contestants who were lied to believe they would win a recording career. It was finally revealed to the “winner” (Jamie Foss) that she was, in fact, the worst singer, in front of a live audience.
13. A retired electrical engineer named Bruce Campbell had an old Boeing 727 delivered to the woods near Portland, Oregon and converted it to his home where he lives full time.
14. The United States has five times more heliports than any other country, and about as many heliports as every other country in the world combined.
15. Leafcutter ants do not actually eat the leaves they cut, instead, they use them to fuel their fungus-based agriculture.
Lake Okeechobee, despite being Florida's largest freshwater lake and covering an area of 730 square miles, has an average depth of just 9 feet.
17. A Krasue is a Southeast Asian creature of folklore. The entity appears as the floating head of a beautiful girl but has internal organs hanging out below the neck. It floats through the night dragging its entrails and is said to eat both humans and animals. It drinks blood and eats organs.
18. Moon rock given to Holland by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin tested to be petrified wood.
19. American political activist Thomas Paine argued in a 1797 pamphlet for an estate tax to fund elderly pensions and a one-time payment when a person reached 21.
20. Hitler used an arson attack on the German parliament to justify taking away most civil liberties in Germany, including habeas corpus, freedom of expression, freedom of the press, the right of free association, public assembly and the secrecy of the post and telephone.
21American and British English
American English is more homogeneous than British English. It is more difficult to tell where an American is from in the US than it is to tell where a Brit is from in the UK.
22. In 2013, Miriam Margolyes, or Professor Sprout from Harry Potter movies, announced she 'was a dyke' during her Australian Citizenship ceremony in front of the Prime Minister, to gasps from the crowd.
23. The movie "Dodgeball"(2004) has an alternate ending where Average Joe's gym loses, and the movie ends abruptly. It was changed because of negative test audience reactions.
24. Comedian George Carlin narrated four seasons of "Thomas the Tank Engine".
25. Weeks after JFK's assassination, Russian intelligence started circulating stories that the CIA was involved in the killing and even covertly financed an American book promoting that theory which was published within a year.