In 1209, a student of Oxford University apparently killed a woman and fled. In retaliation, the townspeople hanged three students. The school suspended operations and the faculty all feared the mob. Many of the facility then moved to Cambridge and founded a new university there.
27. Dustin Hoffman, Robert Duvall, and Gene Hackman were roommates as struggling actors in New York City in the 1960s. They now have 19 Oscar nominations and 5 wins between them.
28. Dr. John Fryer of Philadelphia appeared at the 1972 APA convention wearing a rubber mask to deliver a speech about the hardships of being a psychiatrist and gay. His speech was vital to getting homosexuality off the list of mental disorders.
29. The 1983 'Inspector Gadget' TV series is the first animated television series to be presented in stereo sound.
30. While pregnant, Gene Tierney contracted German measles from a fan who had escaped quarantine to meet her. Her baby was born deaf and intellectually disabled as a result, inspiring the Agatha Christie book The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
There is a “cyborg enhancement” called North Sense which is essentially a semi-elaborate piercing that is implanted onto your chest, allowing you to feel when you face north. Almost like adding a new color to your vision, it gives you a strange new sense.
32. Your body can’t actually detect oxygen. When you hold your breath and feel the need to breathe, that is your body trying to get rid of carbon dioxide.
33. Zerão is a stadium in Brazil where the midfield line lies exactly on the Equator, meaning each team defends one hemisphere.
34. A guy named George Hopkins once parachuted to the top of the Devils Tower but got stuck there for 6 days because nobody knew how to get him down.
35. 26 of the 50 states of the U.S.A are named after Native American tribes.
36Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nobody really knows where Bosnia ends and Herzegovina begins, and there is no official or universally accepted boundary in the country between the two regions.