A woman was commissioned to write a book about a presumed serial killer in Washington while the killer's identity was unknown. That killer turned out to be Ted Bundy, a close friend and former coworker of the writer.
2. In the midst of a 3-year killing spree, over which he is believed to have murdered up to 130 people, serial killer Rodney Alcala was a featured contestant on 'The Dating Game' and was picked by the bachelorette. She never followed up on the date because she found him "creepy".
3. Serial killer James French's last words in the electric chair were "How's this for your headline? French Fries."
4. There was a Macedonian journalist/crime reporter named Vlado Taneski who was also a serial killer. He reported on his own crimes and eventually got caught because he wrote articles on the murders with information that had not yet been released and only the killer would have known.
5. Hustler Magazine owner Larry Flynt survived an attack by a serial killer (Joseph Paul Franklin) but was paralyzed from the waist down. He pleaded for his attacker to not be executed, saying "a government that forbids killing among its citizens should not be in the business of killing people itself.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
American serial killer Joseph Christopher also known as The .22-Caliber Killer tried to admit himself to the Buffalo Psychiatric Center the same month he began his "killing spree" and was denied entry and recommended counseling therapy instead.
7. A Russian serial killer named Alexander Pichushkin has said his aim was to kill 64 people, the number of squares on a chessboard. He later recanted this statement, saying that he would have continued killing indefinitely if he had not been stopped.
8. After one of his victim's disappeared, serial killer/cannibal Nathaniel Bar-Jonah started holding cookouts in which he served burgers, chilli to his guests. He said he had gone deer hunting. He did not own a rifle, a hunting license, nor had he been deer hunting at any time. In Bar-Jonah's apartment, detectives found a number of recipes using children's body parts with contemptuous titles such as "little boy pot pie," "french fried kid," and phrases such as "lunch is served on the patio with roasted child."
9. Robert Hansen was a serial killer who was active in the early 1980s. He would kidnap women and release them in Alaska’s Knik River Valley. He would then hunt them, armed with a knife and a Ruger Mini-14 rifle.
10. Sture Bergwall, Sweden's most notorious serial killer was incarcerated after confessing to at least 30 murders and crimes such as rape and cannibal. He was later found to have been a manipulative liar. He never actually killed a single person.
11John Wayne Gacy
Serial killer John Wayne Gacy (killing at least 33 young men) was very active in local community activities. As a result of his contributions, he met and was photographed with then-First Lady Rosalynn Carter and given special security clearance by the secret service.
12. Serial killer Javed Iqbal was sentenced to death by being strangled in front of his victims family's, dismembered and then burned in a vat of acid, in the same way, he killed over 100 16-year-old boys. He was found dead in his cell before the execution could be carried out.
13. Serial killer Pedro López killed over 300 girls and was released on $50 bail in 1998. He is currently free.
14. The real-life Pa from The Little House on the Prairie is suspected, by his daughter, to have killed a family of serial killers (Bloody Benders).
15. The serial killer known as the “Hillside Strangler”, Kenneth Bianchi, while actively murdering women was also applying to join the ranks of the LAPD and attended several ride alongs with police officers who were searching for the Hillside Strangler.
Wyatt Earp may have descended from America's first serial killers, the Harpe Brothers. He murdered up to 40 people and even bashed an infant against a tree for crying. One was beheaded and his head was left on a spike. That area is still known in Kentucky as "Harpe's Head'.
17. A serial killer named the Doodler, who targeted gay men in 1970's San Francisco would sketch his victims nude before murdering them. Though 3 victims survived, and a suspect was identified, none were willing to "out" themselves in open court in order to convict the suspect.
18. A 16th-century serial killer (Christman Genipperteinga) murdered 964 individuals. This included 6 of his newborn babies, birthed from a sex slave he held captive 7 years before she convinced him to let her go to the town where she betrayed him by dropping peas for the town's men to follow and capture him.
19. Serial killer Joseph Briggen always had prize-winning hogs at the California state fair. He'd state "it's all in the feeding" when asked about his success. He was arrested when it was learned he was feeding his ranch workers to the hogs.
20. Israel Keyes was a serial killer who would travel via plane from Alaska to the continental U.S. to bury murder kits. He would return years later to retrieve them and kill at random. He had no victim profile.
During serial killer Carl Panzram's execution, when asked if he had any last words, he said, "Yes, hurry it up, you Hoosier b*stard! I could kill 10 men while you're fooling around!"
22. Convicted serial killer Albert Fish helped the executioner position the electrodes on his body before uttering his final words, "I don't even know why I'm here." It took 2 jolts to kill him.
23. Spain's first documented serial killer, Manuel Romasanta, was raised a girl till he was 6 because his parents thought he was a female.
24. One of the most, if not the most prolific serial killers in American history continued getting work as a nurse (Charles Cullen) from 1988 - 2003 due to a national nurse shortage even with an extensive history of attempted suicide, documented mental instability and accused patient misconduct.
25. British doctor Harold Shipman (also known as 'Doctor Death') was proven to have murdered at least 250 of his patients but may have killed as many as 459 people, making him one of the most prolific serial killer in recorded human history.