Brazil has replaced almost 42% of its gasoline needs with sugarcane ethanol making gasoline the alternative fuel in the country.
2. When Kelli Garrett, one of the only survivors of the Toy-Box Killer, escaped after two days of captivity, neither the police nor her husband believed her story. Her husband divorced her believing that she had been cheating on him the night she was attacked.
3. Astronaut Sunita Williams was the first person to run a marathon in space, finishing in 4 hours and 24 minutes on a treadmill aboard the International Space Station.
4. Heather Bresch, the CEO behind the increase in EpiPen costs, was awarded a master's degree she did not properly earn because she was the governor's daughter, leading to the dean at West Virginia resigning.
5. New York's underground gay bars of the 1960's (including the Stonewall Inn) were actually created and supported by the Mafia. It was illegal to be gay. The mob paid off local precincts to keep them from doing raids.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Benjamin Franklin was an advocate of “air baths”, during which he would spend up to an hour reading or writing in his house completely nude.
7. Cocaine and alcohol have nearly identical rates of addiction
8. Winston Churchill had an oxygen mask made for him for flying in high altitude airplanes during World War 2 that was customized to allow him to smoke cigars through a hole in the mask.
9. The last time a black man (Michael Donald) was lynched by the KKK was in 1981, and the police officers first on scene first presumed it was a drug deal gone wrong.
10. The Texas Capitol once held a poll to rename their waste disposal department. The winning entry was 'The Fred Durst Society of the Humanities and Arts.'
11US Airways Flight 1549
After the US Airways Flight 1549 ditching on the Hudson (aka "Miracle on the Hudson"), officials captured and gassed 1,235 Canadian geese and destroyed 1,739 goose eggs across New York City.
12. In Indonesian, there is a word for 'A joke told so poorly, and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh.'
13. Cows with personal names like Betsy give 5% more milk than cows with no name or impersonal names like “cow 12345”
14. The reason we see stars/shapes when we rub our eyes is that our brain doesn't know the difference between light and pressure when either stimulates the cells in our eyes
15. Over 2000 large man-made tunnels, known as "Erdstall", have been discovered across Europe, and nobody knows who made them or why
Dog farts are silent but deadly because they have a horizontal rectum, making their sphincter looser, resulting in quieter farts.
17. Oklahoma has a panhandle because Texas had to abandon all of its land north of Missouri's southern border to be added as a slave state. It then went unassigned to any territory for 45 years.
18. Hall of Fame Chicago Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray was estimated to have drunk 73,000 Budweisers during his lifetime.
19. Netherlands has a plan where flooding the country could be used as a defense strategy and this can easily be done by destroying various flood defenses in case of attack by a foreign country.
20. IKEA is an acronym which stands for Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd, which is the founder's name, a farm where he grew up, and hometown.
The walk disturbance (where a person is so worried about how they walk that they may lose balance) may appear with social anxiety, especially when passing a group of people.
22. Obsession used to refer to being controlled by demons outside your body (whereas possession was being controlled by demons inside the body)
23. Scottish Town Arnprior population of 200 people painted wiggly lines on a straight road to confuse and slow down fast drivers.
24. Not only does regularly donating blood help others, but it has shown to reduce the risk of heart attacks by 88%
25. Before he ever wrote a feature film, Mel Brooks made an animated short where he improvised the voice of an old Jewish man forced to sit through an art house film. That short was called The Critic and it won him an Oscar.