After being attacked by a grizzly bear, a man spent 7 years and $150,000 to build a bear-proof suit to take revenge on the bear. When he found back the bear years later, he discovered that he was unable to chase the bear in the hilly forest since he only tested the suit on flat ground.
27. The largest cave in the world named Hang Son Doong or mountain river cave houses a rain forest in its largest chamber, wasn't discovered until 1991 and wasn't explored until 2009.
28. Charcoal beetles fly into still-burning forest fires to mate and lay eggs because competition and predators will be low. They sense distant fires using infrared armpit sensors.
29. More than 80 percent of the Earth’s natural forests have already been destroyed
30. There's a species of orchid that evolved to look like a replica of a monkey's face (Monkey orchid). It grows in the cloud forests of Peru and Ecuador.
London has so many trees that it can be classified as a forest
32. A single valley in Chad provides over 50% of the nutrient-rich dust that is in the Amazon rain forest.
33. There is a massive rain forest in the north of Iran
34. In the 19th Century, Americans purposely filled their parks with squirrels for entertainment purposes. They were rarely found outside of the forest beforehand.
35. The Rainforest Trust, which buys acres of the forest using donations and permanently protects them. They have already protected 11,500,000 acres.
A forest of 100,000 "artificial trees" could be deployed within 10 to 20 years to help soak up the world's carbon emissions.
37. Trees in the red forest, a forest in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, are not decaying because organisms that recycle organic matter suffer from radiation as well.
38. There is a 390-acre tract of-of virgin old growth forest in central Pennsylvania. It features ancient hemlock trees and 20-foot rhododendrons. This area was conserved because of a land dispute between logging companies in the 1900's.
39. Most rainforest soils are extremely poor in minerals and nutrients and the key to the luxuriant vegetation of these forests lies in the rapid nutrient cycling.
40. The word "panic" comes from the Greek woodland god Pan who was believed to be the source of mysterious forest sounds that would cause contagious, groundless fear in animals and humans alike
After cosmonaut Alexei Leonov performed the world's first spacewalk, the space capsule landed so deep in the Soviet forest that the crew had to spend the night in their capsule due to the danger of bears and wolves.
42. There is an area of forest in Tennessee that is used as a dead body farm to aid in forensic research.
43. The Vatican purchased enough carbon offsets for the entire Papal city in 2007. To this day, the promised planting of a "Vatican Forest" has not happened.
44. China has planted the biggest artificial forest in the world to stop the spread of the Gobi desert and plans to expand it to 2,800 miles by 2074
45. In 2011 3-D mapping revealed an ancient Mayan city under a Guatemalan rain forest
46William Martin LaFever
An autistic man was lost in the Utah forest for over 3 weeks, surviving by rolling in and out of a river during the day/night. He was found by a sheriff who had just happened to finish a class on missing autistic people.
47. There is a "green" cemetery in Pennsylvania that doubles as a national forest where people can hike and picnic. No caskets, no formaldehyde, just dirt, and trees.
48. Judge Cicconetti of Ohio dispenses what he calls creative justice. He has sentenced a man who stole from the Salvation Army to spend 24 hours homeless, a woman who abandoned 35 kittens in a forest to spend a night in the woods, & noisy neighbors to listen to classical music instead of rock
49. During the filming of 'Cabin Fever,' Rider Strong decided to explore the forest alone after a shoot, still in his gruesome makeup. He came across a group of schoolgirls on a field trip, who were horrified, but then recognized him from 'Boy Meets The World,' and he had to escape from the fangirls.
50. On Earth, there was a time when forests didn't decompose; no life had evolved to eat trees yet.