1Watch Danger Zone
Watches have a period of time during the day in which you should not change the date, called the “danger zone”. Doing so can cause your watch’s time and date to not keep time properly.
2. You should never put your feet up on a car’s dashboard. Even minor accidents can cause airbags to go off like small bombs, and they can break both of your legs.
3. Acorns on the ground most likely contain worms and you should not bring them into your home (unless you want to share your space with weevil larvae).
4. You should not use flame or salt to remove a leech, as it may regurgitate its stomach contents into the wound. One recommended method of removal is using a fingernail or other flat, blunt object to break the seal of the oral sucker at the anterior end of the leech, repeating with the posterior end, then flicking the leech away. As the fingernail is pushed along the person's skin against the leech, the suction of the sucker's seal is broken, at which point the leech will detach its jaws.
5. Brown paper bags should never go in the microwave because they can catch on fire, emit toxic fumes, and pass germs to food.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
Snails shouldn’t be straight up lifted as this can cause mantle collapse, which can cause the snail to have a very painful death. You should gently slide them until they detach from the surface, or poke them until they contract into the shell then lift them up.
7. If a person has had part of their body crushed in an accident and trapped for more than 15 minutes, you should not free them without medical personnel on the scene. Crushed muscles break down into toxic byproducts, and releasing the pressure lets these flow into the body, killing the person.
8. Non-stick pans produce fumes that are toxic to birds. Bird owners should never own non-stick pans due to the risks involved in this. The compound that causes toxicity is commonly found in many other kitchen appliances and even Scotchgard as well.
9. The US government believes killer bees are so dangerous that you should not help others if attacked by them and only flee as fast as you can. Don’t bother jumping into the water either as these bees will wait for you to come up for air.
10. You should never wash a cast iron pan with a soap that contains lye because it can strip off the oil you’ve baked and cooked into the dish. Also, never soak a cast iron in water or put it in a dishwasher. Also, when you first get a cast iron, you need to “season” it by baking oil into it and each time you use it, the layers of oil and flavor will build.
11Bread to Birds
You should not feed bread to birds. Bread is not a natural source of food for birds and provides little to no nutritional value. Malnutrition can cause diseases and deformities such as Angel Wings, which prevent the bird from flying.
12. You should never defragment a solid-state hard disc (SSD). SSDs can only be written and re-written a certain number of times and defragmenting will hardly increase performance in an SSD due to the way they are designed. On the other hand defragmenting a classic hard drive really increases performance because these normal hard drives have moving read/write heads. Having data that belongs together located in the same area enhances performance significantly because moving the head to another location takes time in classic hard drives.
13. Duct tape should never actually be used on ducts. Duct tape cannot handle the drastic temperature changes in ducts. Of 19 sealants tested, it was the only one to fail in a test where they simulated summer and winter temperature changes every 5 minutes for 3 months.
14. Turtles spend their entire lives in one area (homebodies) and should not be moved far from where they are found or they get distressed.
15. When put in an emergency situation where you need to break into your own car, you should try to not break the small side panes by the doors [quarter/vent glass]. This is the most expensive glass to replace on the car. The reason that vent/quarter/door/back glass is so expensive compared to a windshield, is that a windshield is a laminate while the rest are tempered. Tempered glass is made with heat in excess of 720°C or various pressures and other chemicals are used. Also, when cutting tempered glass, a special diamond cutter is used. Therefore labor and material escalate the smaller the tempered glass is.
Uncooked potatoes should never be refrigerated. Not only does it ruin the flavor, but it also produces high levels of a carcinogen called acrylamide.
17. Carrots should not be fed to rabbits. Rabbit’s natural diets do not include roots, fruits, or iceberg lettuce, and that carrots can cause tooth decay and digestive problems in rabbits.
18. In the event of a nuclear blast, you should not use conditioner in your hair (though that’s the last thing you’ll be worrying about) because it will bind radioactive material to your hair.
19. You should never “double wrap it.” Using two condoms can cause friction between them, weakening the material and increasing the chance that the condoms might break.
20. “Flushable” wipes cause major clogs in sewers and should not be flushed down the toilet.
21Butter on Burns
You should never put butter on a burn. Burns need to be cooled as soon as possible, and butter slows the release of heat from the skin.
22. You legally should not keep or even pick up eagle feathers in the United States if you find one unless you are granted permission through the government, under “The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act”, passed in 1940.
23. You should not brush your teeth after vomiting. The stomach acid weakens the enamel and brushing further damages it.
24. The EPA recommends that you should not consume hot water out of the tap, even if you plan to boil it, because of the increased risk of lead consumption.
25. “TurboTax Free” is not actually free, but “TurboTax Free File” actually is free (if you make under $36,000). This was done to purposefully mislead the public into paying for a service that should be free according to the IRS.