In July 1984, President Ronald Reagan called ice cream "a nutritious and wholesome food" and established National Ice Cream Month.
2. All Ben & Jerry's Employees get to take home 3 free pints of ice cream every single day!
3. Under the American Blue Laws of the time, ice cream sodas weren't allowed to be sold on Sundays. To circumvent this rule, they invented the ice cream sundae.
4. John Harrison, the official taste-tester for Dreyer’s Ice Cream, has his tongue insured for $1 million.
5. Ice cream testers use golden spoons to be able to taste the product 100% without a slight percentage of ‘after-taste’ from typical spoons.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
The name "Häagen-Dazs" is completely meaningless. The Jewish creator of the ice cream wanted a "Danish sounding" name to honor the Danish treatment of Jews during World War 2 and started saying gibberish names until he found one that he liked.
7. Clint Eastwood ran for mayor in the city of Carmel in California, campaigning against an ordinance banning the sale of ice cream and he actually won.
8. The FBI assigned a surveillance team to Sacha Baron Cohen while the filming of Borat due to reports of a "Middle Eastern man traveling in an ice cream truck."
9. In 1940, scientists concluded that consumption of ice cream was the leading cause of the polio epidemic, solely based on the stats that there were more cases of polio in the summer, which was also when children ate most ice cream.
10. The world's first batch of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream was made by Ben & Jerry's, inspired by an anonymous note left on their flavor suggestion board.
11Ice cream graveyard
Ben and Jerry's has a real physical graveyard in Vermont for retired ice cream flavors.
12. Star Spangled Ice Cream was created as a politically conservative alternative to Ben & Jerry's, which was seen as too liberal.
13. Cold Stone's "No Drip" ice cream doesn't melt because it contains Instant Pudding Mix.
14. During a riot in Northern Ireland in 2010, a police officer diffused the situation by playing ice cream van music.
15. Ben and Jerry's sell a sundae named 'The Vermonster'. It contains 20 scoops of ice cream, 4 ladles of hot fudge and 500 grams of fat. It is 14,000 calories.
In 2008, PETA requested that Ben & Jerry's use human breast milk instead of cow's milk for their ice cream.
17. Millionaire Howard Hughes was fond of Baskin-Robbins' Banana Ripple ice cream. His 'helpers' had to order 200 gallons from the factory before it was discontinued. A few days later Hughes announced that he didn’t like it anymore.
18. For TV commercials, ice cream sundaes are often constructed out of scoops of lard or mashed potatoes that are covered in motor oil.
19. In Canada, more ice cream is sold in the winter months than in the summer.
20. February 4th is the National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day in USA.
21Raw Horse Flesh
Raw Horse Flesh is an ice cream flavor that is sold in Japan.
22. The US Navy commissioned the world's first floating ice cream parlor in 1945, capable of making 1500 gallons of ice-cream an hour.
23. Eskimo Ice Cream (Akutaq) is made by using a concoction of reindeer fat, seal oil, freshly fallen snow or water, fresh berries and sometimes groundfish. Air is whipped by hand until it cools into the foam. Akutaq can also be made with moose, or polar bear meat or fat.
24. Hawaiian Punch was originally an ice cream topping.
25. You can make banana ice cream with just one ingredient i.e., Banana.