By the Numbers: 50 Impressive Statistics That Will Wow You – Part 2

- Sponsored Links -

26Psychological Problems

Psychological Problems

40% of Cambodians suffer psychological problems as a result of the Khmer Rouge massacre that killed a third of its population between 1975 and 1979.

27. Over 20% of all calories collectively consumed by humanity are from a single food, rice.

28. 99% of vanilla-flavored products on the market, from vanilla-flavored vodka to vanilla wafers and vanilla pudding, don’t actually contain vanilla, since it is the world's second most expensive spice. Artificial vanilla essence is used instead.

29. Studies have found that a mild electric shock to a person’s brain can improve their math skills for up to 6 months. This could help treat nearly 20% of the population with moderate to severe dyscalculia (math disability).

30. On average, the center of gravity is about 3% higher in black population than whites. This partially explains why blacks are better sprinters and whites are better swimmers.

Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History



Inadequate handwashing contributes to nearly 50% of all food-borne illness outbreaks.

32. China accounts for 40% of tobacco consumption worldwide. About 52% of adult Chinese men smoke cigarettes.

33. When cooking in a cast-iron skillet, the amount of iron in the food may increase by 850%.

34. A person with a one-hour commute has to earn 40% more money to be as satisfied with life as someone who walks to the office.

35. Alcohol consumption in Manhattan in the week after 9/11 increased by 25% compared to the same period the year before. Tobacco consumption rose by 10%, marijuana consumption by 3.2%, and church and synagogue attendance by 20%.

- Sponsored Links -

36Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

In 1967, 75% of the North American population resided within 500 miles of Niagara Falls.

37. 99% of crocodile offspring are eaten in the first year after birth, by large fish, herons, monitor lizards, and adult crocodiles.

38. Studies have found that the brains of ultra-marathon runners shrank in size by 6% while racing a 4500 kilometers race.

39. 84% of genes known to be associated with human diseases have counterparts in the zebrafish.

40. A lucky 2% of people have a gene for stink-free armpits and are more likely to have dry earwax (as opposed to wet or sticky).

- Sponsored Links -



The sun makes up 99.8% of the mass in the solar system.

42. A little over 3% of the population of the small Central American nation of Belize speaks some form of German as their native language. This is due to the Mennonite farming communities in the country.

43. According to a study published in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, unattractive people receive 175–305% longer sentences than attractive people.

44. Sleeping in a cold room can help you slim down. A study shows sleeping in a 66 degree room (Fahrenheit) can help increase your fat burning ability by 10%.

45. 93% of shark attacks around the world between 1580 and 2010 were on males.

46Musical anhedonia

Musical anhedonia

Roughly 3-5% of the world’s population has apathy toward music known as "musical anhedonia," in which their brain is biologically incapable of responding to any music whatsoever.

47. About 90% of the human population is right-handed, while the remaining 10% are either left-handed or have some degree of ambidexterity, though people with “true” ambidexterity, i.e., no dominant hand at all, only make up about 1% of the population.

48. About 40% of the calls that come into the emergency hotline (911) in San Francisco are deemed nonemergencies. Examples include people complaining about rap music next door, car towing, and, in one case, no internet.

49. About 80-90% of high school graduates in Singapore are myopic. The same is true in China, Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea, all places where kids now spend far more time hunched over a desk or computer than the previous generations. Some studies estimate that about half the world could need glasses by 2050.

50. Roughly 25% of women or 33% of men snort when they laugh.

- Sponsored Links -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here