Dalmatians used to run alongside horse-drawn firetrucks acting as a barking siren to clear crowds, thus their positive reputations with firefighters.
27. The first undisputed dog remains buried with a human are dated 14,700 years ago. Disputed remains go as far back as 36,000 years ago.
28. Airedale Terriers carried messages for soldiers during World War 1 and were very dedicated to their duties. One named 'Jack' ran through half a mile of enemy fire. He made it to headquarters with his jaw broken and one leg badly splintered and died just after delivering his message.
29. Bloodhounds are so adept at scent tracking that the results are admissible evidence in a court of law. One of the greatest sleuths in canine history was a Kentucky bloodhound called Nick Carter. His dogged persistence led to the capture and conviction of more than 600 criminals throughout his career.
30. All corgis suffer from achondroplastic dwarfism.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
The only non-military dog to be awarded the Dickin Medal for bravery was a collie named Sheila. In 1944, she tracked down 4 injured US airmen on a mountain during a blizzard, after their B-17 crashed. She led locals to their location, who evacuated them before the bombs detonated shortly after.
32. Dogs can eat raw chicken bones. The issue is with any cooked bone. Cooked bones become dry and brittle which can crack and splinter leading to choking, internal injuries, punctured organs, and, or death. All cooked bones should be disposed of properly and not be given as treats.
33. German shepherds were renamed to "Alsatian Wolf Dog" after World War 1 due to the anti-German sentiment of the era.
34. Not all breeds of dogs can swim. Among those that can’t swim at all or swim only with great difficulty are basset hounds, bulldogs, dachshunds, pugs, corgis, Scottish and Boston terriers, and greyhounds.
35. A pug named Pompey woke up the prince of the Netherlands, which thwarted an assassination attempt on him. To this day the pug has been the official dog of the House of Orange.