Someone survived the bombing of Hiroshima in a bank vault only 300m from ground zero
77. The atomic bomb over Hiroshima missed it's target and detonated over a hospital (Shima hospital). The only remnant of the structure was the US made operating tool.
78. "Hiroshima shadows": when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, the intensity of the blast permanently burned shadows of people/objects into the ground
79. When journalist Wilfred Burchett reported the effects of radiation sickness weeks after a nuclear bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, his story was censored and the US military accused him of being under the sway of Japanese propaganda.
80. Einstein signed a letter to President Roosevelt that encouraged the development of the atom bomb because he thought the Nazi's would make one first but regretted it after he saw the devastation in Hiroshima, and it played heavy on his mind that his discoveries led to it.
818 Jesuits Priests
8 Jesuit Priests survived the atomic bomb blast in Hiroshima just 8 blocks from ground zero; nearly everything else within 1.5 km was completely destroyed.
82. Detonating 100 Hiroshima-sized nuclear bombs, anywhere in the world, could potentially generate enough black smoke to partially block the sunlight, resulting in massive temperature drops, disruption of the global climate and worldwide famine
83. The total amount of energy released in the 2004 tsunami was equivalent to a bomb of a staggering 9,600 GIGAtons, (or equal to 550 million Hiroshima bombs).
84. One of Vincent Van Gogh's "Sunflower" paintings was destroyed on the day that the Hiroshima atomic bomb detonated, during an American bombing raid on the city Ashiya. The Japanese collector who owned the painting could not rescue it from the flames because the elaborate frame was too heavy.
85. A plastic material named Starlite is claimed by its creator has the ability to resist 75 Hiroshima bombs.
86Ypres and Hiroshima friendship
Ypres, one of the places where chemical warfare was first used, maintains a close friendship with Hiroshima, where nuclear weapons were first used. The city governments advocate for nuclear disarmament and for the avoidance of targeting cities in war.
87. The U.S has 14 Ohio-class submarines carrying Trident nuclear weapons. Each submarine has the destructive power 1000 times that of Hiroshima
88. In 1945, after dropping the atomic bomb 'Little Boy' on Hiroshima, Robert A. Lewis wrote in the mission log, 'My God, what have we done'.
89. The Soviet Union didn't attack Japan in World War II until August 8, 1945: two days after the bombing of Hiroshima
90. 31 more assemblies of the Little Boy nuclear bomb which was dropped on Hiroshima were made for the US Department of Defense, and were all withdrawn from service in 1951, 5 1/2 years after Hiroshima.
A 2007 World Health Organization study estimated that air pollution killed about 656,000 Chinese each year, equivalent to almost ten times the number of people who were killed by the Hiroshima atomic bomb