76Reenactment of Civil War
The first American civil war reenactors were actually veterans of the war.
77. Many Civil War battles have two names because the Union named battles after natural features and the Confederacy after the man-made structures/towns nearby
78. Fountain Hughes lived through slavery, the Civil War, World War 1, World War 2, and the beginning of the Cold War.
79. The last surviving Civil War veteran lived long enough to have seen television.
80. Russians may have prevented France and England from entering the American Civil War
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
81St. Albains raid
On October 19, 1864, Confederate soldiers slipped across the border from Canada and looted and robbed their way through Vermont during the American Civil War. They stole $208,000 or around $3 million in 2014 money
82. The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States from 5 states during the civil war used the word slave or a variant over 80 times. It also referred to the north as "non-slave-holding States".
83. If a wealthy person got drafted during the American Civil War, they could pay a substitute to go to war for them.