Silas Soule, an abolitionist who, among other accomplishments, was present at the Sandy Creek Massacre where he refused to order his men to fire. He testified at Congress against his commanding officer and was murdered soon after, likely as a result of his testimony.
2. In a study on the appeal of chocolate, it took researchers 1 year to find 11 men who don't like chocolate
3. Women are twice as likely to initiate a suicide attempt but Men are four times more likely to succeed.
4. Winston Churchill, along with many of the Royal Navy's highest ranking men, came very close to death after the ship they were on was fired at by a U-boat with 3 torpedoes. All three struck the hull of the ship, but all failed to explode.
5. There is an anime and manga in Japan called Saint Young Men, which is about Jesus and Buddha living as roommates in Tokyo while taking a vacation on Earth and attempting to understand Japanese society.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
The revolving door was invented because the inventor disliked the social convention of men holding doors for women.
7. About 50% of the men ejaculate in under two minutes and the average male expects to have intercourse for 18 minutes.
8. The first deodorant for men was launched in 1935 (decades after the introduction of deodorants for women) because, at the beginning of the 20th century, body odor was not considered a problem for men; it was a part of being masculine.
9. A study found that nearly half of all homeless men had suffered a "traumatic" brain injury, with 87% having sustained the injury prior to becoming homeless
10. In a private cemetery in small-town Arkansas, a woman (Ruth Coker Burks) single-handedly buried and gave funerals to more than 40 gay men during the height of the AIDS epidemic, when their families wouldn't claim them.
A ten-year psychological study found that men who kissed their wives before leaving for work, on average lived five years longer, earning 20 to 30% more than peers who left without a kiss.
12. It's illegal for offices in NYC to require men to wear ties without also requiring women to wear ties
13. In 1859, an American farmer in the San Juan Islands shot a pig who was eating his potatoes, but the pig happened to belong to a British colonist. In the ensuing confrontation, 461 Americans and 14 artillery faced 5 British warships with 70 cannons and 2140 men. The only casualty was the pig
14. Chocolate magnate Milton Hershey launched a 'Great Building Campaign' during the Great Depression with the aim of employing more people. When he was told that a steam shovel being used on a project did the work of 40 men, he instructed his foreman: "Take them off. Hire 40 men."
15. A Chinese general named Zhuge Liang with 100 troops who had to defend a town against 150,000. He told his men to hide, flung open the gates and sat on the walls playing the lute. The opposing general, certain it was a trap, ordered a retreat
There was a religion in medieval Europe called Cathar. It was a splinter of Christianity, and they held beliefs such as women and men being equal and homosexuality being tolerated.
17. Between 120 and 140 men, women and children were killed on September 11, 1857, in Utah, when Mormons attacked and slaughtered a wagon train with the help of local Indians the bodies were stripped of belongings by Mormons and sold off at local auctions for profit
18. Michael Caine once held Sean Connery’s coat while the James Bond star single-handedly beat up four men in a nightclub.
19. In 1986, the United Way released 1.5 million balloons in Cleveland as a publicity stunt. It clogged the land and waterways of NE Ohio, shut down an airport runway, and forced the Coast Guard to suspend a search and rescue of 2 men who ended up drowning.
20. In 1977, singer Tom Waits was arrested outside a coffee shop for trying to stop men from bullying other patrons. These men were plainclothes officers, and Waits was charged with disturbing the peace. Waits disputed the charge, was found not guilty, and successfully sued the police dept. for $7,500
21Francis P Hammerberg
During salvage efforts in Pearl Harbor, two Navy Divers became trapped when a piece of wreckage collapsed. By tunneling through 20' of mud and steel, Francis P Hammerberg saved both men but became trapped himself in the wreckage. He died 18 hours later and was awarded the Medal of Honor.
22. 150 Irish soldiers defended a Congo town from 3000 African mercs for six days, killed 300 of the mercs and didn't lose any men themselves.
23. The South Park character Liane Cartman is based on an ex-girlfriend of co-creator Trey Parker, who was found cheating with multiple men. Trey's ex was also called Liane.
24. 2 Florida men failed to steal a Corvette because they couldn't drive stick. At gunpoint, the owner told them 4 times to push the clutch, but they gave up and ran away on foot with only the man's phone, keys, and wallet.
25. In Japan, you can hire handsome men to show up at your office and watch sad videos with you until you cry, then wipe your tears for you