A group of up to 30 bears surrounded and attacked a remote Russian platinum mine in 2008, killing two security guards and trapping 400 people there.
27. Private Sean Benton was one of four young Army recruits to die at Deepcut Barracks between 1995-2002. He died of five gunshot wounds to the chest. His death was ruled a suicide.
28. In 2012, Panera Bread tried to stop a Qdoba Mexican Grill from opening nearby by trying to argue that a 'burrito is a sandwich' and thus breaking the lease agreement restricting rent from another 'sandwich shop'.
29. In the event of Britain being destroyed and her government wiped out, there is a safe on four nuclear-equipped submarines that contain the Prime Minister's ‘Letters Of Last Resort’. Nobody except the Prime Minister knows what it says.
30. During the 2012 London Olympic, NBC aired a promo for the Today Show congratulating Missy Franklin on winning the gold medal in the 100-meter backstroke. They aired this promo minutes before the network aired the time-delayed footage of the event.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Nancy Sinatra was asked by songwriter Lee Hazlewood to sing one of her songs as if she were "a sixteen-year-old girl who f*cks truck drivers". She promptly went on to reach #1 in the US, the UK, Australia, and Canada for "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'."
32. Cats are obligate carnivores. They must eat meat to get all of their nutrition.
33. Canada has a strategic maple syrup reserve to ensure global supply in case of emergency.
34. SpaceX considers a rocket explosion to actually be a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".
35. Back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide. In the US, back pain costs over $50 billion in missed work days, per years.
Adolescents who smoke marijuana as early as 14 do worse by 20 on some cognitive tests and drop out of school at a higher rate than non-smokers. But if they hold off until age 17, they are less at risk and performed equally well as adolescents who did not use cannabis.
37. In 2010, a group of hackers hacked the 2010 School Board e-voting system in Washington, D.C. and got Bender (from Futurama) elected.
38. Before his death, Fidel Castro's last wish was to avoid being a "personality cult". Because of this, Cuba prohibits the use of Castro's name in the names of "institutions, parks, streets and other public places, as well as any honorary titles or medals."
39. California fire departments use hundreds of goats to help clear acres of dry grass and other vegetation that would otherwise act as highly flammable fuel for California's notorious wildfires.
40. Humans are not the only primate that curse. Chimps do it too. In project Washoe, chimps being taught sign language internalized taboos around the toilet, with the sign “dirty” representing something shameful. They started using that sign as an admonition or to express anger, like a swear word.
Beethoven hated giving piano lessons unless they were for exceptionally talented students or attractive young women of whatever talent.
42. Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel in the Little Mermaid, also provides the voice of Barbie in Toy Story and was named a Disney Legend for her contributions to Disney.
43. A wild western gorilla in the remote Congolese forest was observed using a stick to test water depth before crossing a pool of water and then used the same stick as a walking stick whilst crossing the pool. Another gorilla was observed using a tree trunk as a bridge to cross a deep swamp.
44. Popeye eats spinach because of an error in the calculation of its iron content by chemist Erich von Wolf in 1870. He misplaced a decimal point, recording spinach as having 35 mg of iron per 100 gram serving of spinach, instead of its true value of 3.5mg/100g. The former is equal to eating part of a paperclip.
45. Groundhogs are edible and taste good when prepared correctly. Due to them being vegetarians, their meat is tender and tastes similar to that of squirrel or rabbit.
The figure in "The Scream" isn't actually screaming, he's listening to a scream passing through nature.
47. The last words of the assassin (Ramón Mercader) that murdered Leon Trotsky with an ice pick were "I hear it always. I hear the scream. I know he’s waiting for me on the other side."
48. Josh Hartnett was Christopher Nolan's first-choice for Bruce Wayne in 'Batman Begins' but he turned Nolan down because he didn't want to be typecast as a superhero, which is when Nolan approached Christian Bale for the role. Hartnett now says that was "the worst decision of my career."
49. The film crew of Terminator 2 refused to film the helicopter chase scene because it was so dangerous. James Cameron ended up filming it himself.
50. Mike Tyson tried to talk 50 Cent (American rapper) out of buying his old mansion. Tyson said, “No one was gonna buy it with 60,000 square feet; it's gonna cost them $25,000 just to mow the lawn”.