26Steve and Terry
The first episode of ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ featured Steve Irwin and his wife, Terry, trapping and handling crocodiles on their honeymoon.
27. George Lucas originally approached Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, and Robert Zemeckis to direct the Prequel Trilogy, but all of them refused, each saying almost the exact same thing; "George, you should do it!"
28. There is a 60-mile conveyer belt in Morocco that carries phosphorus from mines in Western Sahara to the Atlantic Ocean. It can be seen from space.
29. Orangutans have been known to wash themselves with soap because they have seen us doing it. It has no benefit to them, they just do it anyway.
30. The "Wa" in Wario and Waluigi isn't an upturned M, it's actually a portmanteau of Mario and Luigi's name and the Japanese adjective warui which means "bad", literally translating to "bad Mario" or "bad Luigi".
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
The cost of an oil change for a Bugatti Veyron is $20,000.
32. The Ayam cemani chiken aka the Lamborghini of chickens is a breed of chicken that is completely black, including the organs and the bones. The price of this chickens is above $2,500.
33. More than 30 countries sell citizenship or residence permits for cash. In Thailand, the cost is $10,000, while fast-track residence in the UK requires $10 million.
34. There is a liquid you can breathe safely when submerged in. It is used for lung injury.
35. The world is facing a global sand crisis because sand and gravel mining greatly exceeds natural renewal rate.
Killer Whale is a mistranslation of Whale Killer. Orcas are part of the dolphin family and hunt whales.
37. The founder of IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad, was dyslexic. Most of his products were identifiable by a set of numbers, but Kamprad had trouble remembering the codes for each product due to his disease. The unique Swedish names of IKEA’s furniture were his way of identifying his products.
38. The Bootstrap Paradox is a time travel paradox in which an object or information can exist without ever being created. The object or piece of information is sent back in time where it is retrieved to become the very object or piece of information that was brought back in the beginning.
39. Because of the Universe's expansion, a signal from an event happening at present will never reach the Earth if the event is more than 16 billion light-years away.
40. Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, was first used as a recreational party drug by Britain's wealthy class in the 1700s before it was ever utilized for medical reasons.
The limo JFK was assassinated in went to on be used by Presidents Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter before being retired in 1977.
42. Nigeria has a space program and has successfully launched several satellites into orbit.
43. Alexander Graham Bell wanted to abolish sign language and believed deaf people to be inferior. He proposed many ideas to breed a more “nobleman” and reduce the intermarrying of the “dead and dumb”.
44. In 1996, an American pathologist named Beck Weathers was left for dead twice after falling into the coma while climbing Mount Everest. At some point, his body warmed up and he regained consciousness. Blind, numb and severely frostbitten, he stumbled 300 yards into Camp IV. He was saved in the 2nd highest altitude helicopter rescue in history.
45. The island (Pheasant island) of Faisans in the middle of the Bidasoa river, on the border of Spain and France, switches countries every six months. This was agreed to as part of the signing of the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659. This sort of joint sovereignty is called a condominium.
LEGO refuses to make sets that are military themed despite the fact they are forfeiting profits. This is because the company has a policy not to portray war as child's play. They state that they want their play experiences to remain in the "realm of fantasy".
47. Most birds dislike the taste of monarch butterflies because they still contain poisons from when they were caterpillars (monarch caterpillars' favorite meal is poisonous milkweed).
48. There are radioactive elements called "bone seekers" because they are chemically similar to calcium and the body tries to use them to build bones.
49. The parents of former Olympic gold medalist skier Picabo Street decided to let her choose her own name when she was old enough, so for the first two years of her life she was called "baby girl" or "little girl"
50. The bowhead whale is by far the longest living mammal on Earth, with the oldest known individual being at least 211 years old. Some bowhead whales have been found with the tips of ivory spears still lodged in their flesh from failed attempts by whalers 200 years ago.