Sweden has a forest of oak trees planted 200 years ago because their Navy at the time needed them for ships.
27. Marie Curie was involved in a sex scandal when a newspaper published love letters between her and a former student of her deceased husband. Her lover later challenged the newspaper’s editors to a dual to defend Marie’s honor.
28. Giraffes sleep using their own butts as pillows
29. Men who are receiving chemo should avoid causing pregnancy during and for some time after treatment because chemo may damage the DNA in sperm cells. This could lead to birth defects.
30. The Battle of Hayes Pond was an armed confrontation between Lumbee Native Americans and the KKK in which the Lumbee were successful in disrupting the klan rally and ending significant KKK activity in the southern region of North Carolina.
Insects don't have lungs. They just kinda absorb oxygen and it is related to their size, i.e. why bugs got so big when the Earth had more oxygen.
32. Oily rags can spontaneously self-ignite because the oil reacts with oxygen in a reaction to produce heat, and a bunched up cloth can trap the heat enough to reach ignition temperatures.
33. Volkswagen sells more sausages than cars, sold under the "Volkswagen original parts" number 199398500a, the currywusrt has been available for 45 years now.
34. "2001: A Space Odyssey" was initially very poorly received by audiences due to its slow pace and ambiguous plot. The movie became more successful when masses of people began flocking to watch the movie while stoned, with MGM even advertising it as "The ultimate trip".
35. Charles Bronson, one of the toughest men in Hollywood, was so poor growing up that at one time he had to wear his sister's dress to school for lack of clothing.
In 2018 the Sagrada Familia Church agreed to pay Barcelona $41 million as fine for lacking a building permit for 136 Years.
37. Ahmed Best, voice actor for Jar Jar Binks, became suicidal after the massive societal backlash against the character he played.
38. One of the reasons the Great Wall of China still stands after so many years is due to a secret binding agent in the mortar which was sticky rice.
39. United States anticipated so many casualties in the planned invasion of Japan during WW2, that it is still awarding Purple Hearts originally manufactured during the war and intended for troops of that invasion.
40. Jazz violinist Joe Venuti, known for practical jokes, once called every double bass player in the New York phonebook, asking them to meet with him on a street corner. Over 50 arrived with their instruments, creating a minor roadblock. Venuti later had to pay them all, as mandated by the AFM.
Although there is no specialized sensory organ for time, our perception of time nevertheless depends on the rate of change in different sensory modalities. In the absence of sensory input, e.g. under anesthesia, the sense of time is often lost or impaired.
42. 17 miles (27km) from Mount Rushmore, a gigantic sculpture is being carved in the Black Hills, showing Native Chief Crazy Horse on his steed, pointing east. The construction started in 1948 and will take another 50 years to be completed.
43. The US reached peak coal mining employment in 1923, when there were 883,000 coal miners employed in the US. Today, there are only 50,000 coal miners in the US. Nevertheless, the US produces about 50% more coal than it did 100 years ago.
44. The highest point (The peak of Mount Whitney at 14,494 feet / 4,418 meters) and the lowest point (The Badwater Basin area of Death Valley at -282 feet / -86 meters) in the Contiguous United States are both in California, both in the same county in California, and only 88 miles apart.
45. The 1981 Cadillac Eldorados were fitted with a metal plate under the driver's seat to fix a balancing problem. This saved mob associate Frank Rosenthal's life when the plate shielded him from the force of a car bomb exploding under his Eldorado.
A stray dog in Russia named Malchik made a Moscow train station his home, acting as the resident guard dog. In 2001, a woman fatally wounded Malchik, stabbing him multiple times with a kitchen knife. The woman was arrested and tried. A statue, named "Compassion", was erected in honor of Malchik.
47. The Olympic flag's colors are always red, black, blue, green, and yellow rings on a field of white. This is because at least one of those colors appears on the flag of every nation on the planet.
48. Wes Craven placed a torn poster of Jaws in the background of "The Hills Have Eyes" to communicate to the audience that he believed his movie was much scarier. Later, Sam Raimi places a torn poster of The Hills Have Eyes in The Evil Dead to communicate the same message towards Craven.
49. Bananas are going extinct due to an untreatable fungus breakout that's spreading around the world.
50. Penguins and other marine birds have a supraorbital gland above their eye socket that breaks down sodium in their bloodstream. This allows them to remove salt from saltwater to make it fresh water, allowing them to survive on salt water.