Between the 63rd and 76th streets in New York City, scientists have discovered an ant species which is found nowhere else on the earth. It has been nicknamed the “ManhattAnt.”
2. Tom Cruise saved Ray-Bans from extinction. Sunglasses sales was tanking in the 70s, so Ray-Ban signed a product placement deal for 60 films. Risky Business, Top Gun, and Rain Man all had Cruise wearing Wayfarers and Aviators, and sales went through the roof.
3. Owning an electric car in Norway grants you free public parking, free ferry trips and the right to drive in bus lanes.
4. On average, South Koreans are 3 inches taller than their North Koreans counterparts. They are genetically the same and have been living similar lives till divide in the last century. Nutritional difference of half a century has caused this difference.
5. Pandas will sometimes fake pregnancies to receive more food and special treatment from humans.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
6F-82 Twin Mustang fighter plane
The F-82 “Twin Mustang” fighter plane, which was designed to escort bombers thousands of miles to Tokyo, was literally two P-51 Mustangs joined at the wing. Both cockpits were fully functional, so one pilot could sleep while the other flew the plane on missions that could last up to 12 hours.
7. KidZania is a chain of indoor theme park currently operating in 24 locations worldwide. Instead of going on rides, kids are offered the experience of adulthood. They work in a variety of jobs, like fireman or pilot planes, and use their “salary” in the gift shop or rent electric versions of luxury cars.
8. On American television sitcom ‘Full House’, actors Bob Saget, John Stamos, and Dave Coulier often got in trouble for “adult humor” in front of their child co-stars and once got busted doing whip its off screen with 15 cans of Reddi Whip while impatiently waiting for the girls to finish shooting a scene.
9. In 1909, Hubert Latham became the first person ever to attempt to fly a plane over the English Channel. He failed, but in doing so he became the first person ever to land a plane on water.
10. Anyone who has suffered damage to the right hemisphere of the brain can develop a “joke addiction”, a compulsive need to constantly make jokes and create humor.
The richest preacher in the world is David Oyedepo of Nigeria. He has a net worth of $150 million. He owns 2 private jets, a $10 million house, and controls churches in 45 African nations.
12. A swarm of 20,000 bees once followed a car for two days because their queen was inside the car.
13. New Zealand's first tank (the Bob Semple tank) was built from a tractor, sheet metal, and 6 machine guns. When ridiculed for the design Bob Semple said: "I don’t see anyone else coming up with any better ideas."
14. During the construction of the Metro Red Line subway in Los Angeles, 2,000 fossils were discovered, some as old as 16.5 million years old. These included 39 species of extinct marine fish that had never before been discovered.
15. In the mid-1970s, a lawyer from Akron, Ohio, wrote to Cleveland Browns football team complaining about the paper planes being tossed around the stadium. The Browns replied with a letter saying “I feel that you should be aware that some as*hole is signing your name to stupid letters.”
The expiration date on bottled water is for the bottle, not for the water.
17. A study shows that the average male gets bored on a shopping trip after 26 minutes while the average woman tires after around 2 hours.
18. In 2017, USA overtook Mexico again as the most obese nation in the world with some estimates projecting that 50% of the population in USA will be obese by 2030.
19. Norwegian police banned a team of Finnish divers from Plura cave in 2014 after 2 people died. In secret, the divers pulled their 2 dead friends to the surface and fulfilled a promise to a widow of one man. The illegal rescue took 27 divers and 101 hours in frigid water, using about 1-ton of equipment.
20. Wait Calculation is a dilemma stating that during the millennia-long trip to another star system, humanity would easily find ways to increase travel speed greatly, meaning any new expeditions would arrive much earlier. Therefore, no-one would risk wasting their lives on such a meaningless trip.
21South China Tiger
According to scientists, the South China Tiger is "functionally extinct" as one has not been spotted in the wild for over 25 years, however, a banker named Stuart Bray has 19 of them held in captivity at the Laohu Valley Reserve in South Africa.
22. A kidney can be purchased for $650 in Kenya and sold for $200,000 in South Africa.
23. In Guatemala, an estimated 40-60% of the population still speaks the Mayan language.
24. There are only 3 original citrus fruits: pomelo, citron, and mandarin. Most other citrus fruits are hybrids of these 3 (eg. orange= pomelo x mandarin).
25. Farbs is a derogatory term used for less-than-authentic Civil War reenactors who half-a*s their look and cosplay. Farbs use sunblock and bug spray, take their iPhones into battle and tend to be overweight (historically inaccurate for the 1860s).