26CIA's Official Motto
CIA's official motto is "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."
27. With the aim of launching guerrilla operations against the Chinese, the CIA gave Dalai Lama $1.7 million a year in the 1960s.
28. Adolf Tolkachev, the Soviet engineer and CIA Asset singlehandedly provided enough information to compromise the MiG-29 and MiG-31, among other advanced avionics before being betrayed by EL Howard and executed by the KGB in 1985.
29. The CIA's own inspector general (Gary Webb) reported that the Reagan administration thwarted federal investigations into drug crimes.
30. The CIA deliberately let the KGB steal control software for a natural gas pipeline that had been modified to malfunction, causing one of the largest non-nuclear blasts ever recorded.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
In the early 1960s, the CIA coined the term 'Plausible Deniability' to describe the withholding of information from senior officials in order to protect them from repercussions in the event that illegal or unpopular activities by the CIA became public knowledge.
32. In the 50's, the CIA tried to assassinate Fidel Castro by slipping an exploding cigar into his private supply.
33. The Slim Shady album was used as an official torture tool by the CIA. Detainees were forced to listen to it.
34. During the 'Secret War', the CIA recruited 50% of the Hmong population to fight for the US in the Vietnam War. Afterwards, they were completely abandoned.
35. The CIA uses Amazon cloud services to store sensitive data.
CIA Operation Mongoose tried to kill Castro with exploding cigars, shells, poisoned wetsuits, milkshakes, a former lover; character assassination via thallium to make his beard fall out and LSD. Castro said, “If surviving assassination attempts were an Olympic event, I would win the gold medal.”
37. The Central Intelligence Agency used viagra to bribe Afghan tribal leaders. The Afghan chieftain offered up a bonanza of information about Taliban movements and supply routes followed by a request for more pills.
38. Heinrich Müller, chief of the Gestapo, is the most senior Nazi unaccounted for. The CIA was unable to track him after World War 2 because of his incredibly generic name (which translates to Henry Miller) and the fact that, unlike Heydrich and Himmler, he had remained anonymous to the public.
39. During Project Bluebird (a CIA project) researchers dosed over 7,000 U.S. military personnel with LSD, without their knowledge or consent. Years after the experiment, more than 1000 of these soldiers suffered from several illnesses, including depression and epilepsy. Many of them committed suicide.
40. The Lun Ekranoplan was a 380-ton Russian super plane designed to fly low over the water at high speeds to destroy aircraft carriers. CIA analysts called it the Caspian Sea Monster.
41Red Hot Chili Peppers
In 2002, the CIA tortured Al-Qaeda terrorists by making them listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
42. Frank R Olson, a CIA biological warfare scientist was dosed with LSD by his CIA supervisor and then committed suicide by jumping off a hotel nine days later.
43. The KGB had a propaganda campaign to convince the third-world that the CIA created the AIDS virus.
44. The CIA offered Gamal Abdel Nasser, the president of Egypt, a $3 million bribe if he would join the proposed Middle East Defense Organization. Nasser took the money but then refused to join.
45. In the 60s, the CIA "kidnapped" a Soviet spacecraft (Lunik). Intercepted while en route to an exhibition, it was disassembled, photographed, and reassembled without a hitch.
Operation Merlin where the CIA carried out a plan to send Iran flawed blueprints to a nuclear bomb in order to delay their nuclear program. They sent the blueprints by way of a defected Russian nuclear scientist who noticed the flaws and included proposed corrections to Iran.
47. Theodore Roosevelt's grandson, Kermit Roosevelt, was the head of the CIA covert operation to reinstall the Shah of Iran (Mohammad Reza Shah).
48. Operation Chaos was a domestic espionage project conducted by the CIA to spy on the student antiwar movement.
49. The CIA skimmed 65 million dollars off the Marshall Plan, meant to rebuild Post-World War 2 Europe, so they could buy Italian Elections and bribe priests over the next few decades.
50. In 1962, the CIA poisoned 14,000 sacks of Cuban sugar bound for the Soviet Union.