Disney developed a signature scent for Norway in Epcot. It's called Laila and smells like airy mountains. The perfume is sprayed throughout the day in the pavilion.
27. Petrichor is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. It is a combination of plant oils and the chemical Geosmin. Research has shown that when the raindrops hit the ground, they trap tiny air bubbles, which then shoot upwards creating an aerosol.
28. European Nutella has a stronger chocolatey aroma and is different from American Nutella.
29. Putting dry tea bags in smelly running shoes or gym bags will absorb the unpleasant odor.
30. When people say they can smell a storm coming, they are smelling ozone which is pulled from higher altitudes by the coming storm's downdrafts.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Most birds lack a strong sense of smell and mother birds will not abandon their younglings if they are handled by a human.
32. The Beatles concerts were said to smell heavily of urine due to overexcited girls.
33. The oldest perfume factory in the world was unearthed in Cyprus in 2004-05. It dated back to the Bronze Age, around 4,000 years ago, and it covered an estimated surface area of over 4,000m², indicating that their perfume manufacturing was on an industrial scale.
34. The Samurais of Japan used to burn incense in their helmets so that their heads would smell sweet if they were ever to be decapitated.
35. The “pool smell” does not come from chlorine, but chloramines, which are created when chlorine reacts with human sweat, oil or urine that enters swimming pools from the bodies of swimmers.
Farts smell worse in the shower because our nose works better in high heat and humidity.
37. Denver cops use “smelloscopes” to sniff out cannabis smokers.
38. Dead ants give off a scent to signal other ants that they need to be carried away. The dead are brought to a designated graveyard in order to avoid bacteria spreading.
39. The smell given off by books can be used to tell the age of the books, and how close the books are to degradation.
40. Binturongs or Bearcats smell likes buttered popcorn.
The “metallic” smell left on your hands after handling coins isn't the smell of the coin. It is the smell of our own skin.
42. Cilantro haters can't smell the same scent cilantro lovers do, from the herb. Instead, they taste unsaturated aldehydes which are present in it.
43. Lemurs have "stink fights" where they rub their tail in their scent glands and try to make their opponent smell like them.
44. The ancient Egyptians invented several forms of early deodorant, including cones made out of scented grease that was worn on top of the head. As the grease melted, it ran in cooling, fragrant trails down the person’s face and body.
45. The American toy manufacturing company Mattel used patchouli oil to produce the smell of the He-Man action figure Stinkor.
The U.S. Military uses the stink bomb product named 'Liquid Ass,' in training to prepare troops for the odor of the battlefield.
47. Dogs have bacteria on their paws that make them smell like corn chip, which is commonly referred to as “Frito Feet.”
48. Grizzly bears have a better sense of smell than a hound dog and can detect food from miles away.
49. Cheetos company made a fragrance called Cheeteau in 2014.
50. Crops release an odor if they are under attack by pests. The odor attracts wasps to come and kill the pest.