1Fake Facebook profile
A woman created a fake Facebook profile of a teenage girl and sent a friend request to her husband, then used transcripts of their conversations to get him arrested. He was freed and all charges were dropped when he produced a notarized affidavit, proving he knew it was her all along.
2. Facebook has 56 custom gender options, bringing the total number of options to 58 including male and female.
3. In 2005, Facebook hired graffiti artist David Choe to paint murals in their new office space; Choe accepted Facebook shares instead of a small cash payment of several thousand dollars, and when Facebook went public in 2012, his payment for the murals ballooned into a 200 million dollar payoff.
4. NPR posted a link "Why doesn't America read anymore?" to their facebook page; the link led to an April Fool's message saying that many people comment on a story without ever reading the article & asking not to comment if you read the link; people commented immediately on how they do read.
5. Facebook is predominantly blue in color because Mark Zuckerberg is red-green color blind and blue is the "richest color" that he can see.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced his U.S. citizenship to avoid paying $700 million in taxes.
7. Shortly after a woman made up a fake Facebook profile to speak with her troubled 19-year-old niece named Marissa Williams, the niece asked the fictional boy to murder her Aunt, her Aunt's fiance, her cousin, and the family dog.
8. SunChips' first attempt at a biodegradable bag crinkled at up to 95 decibels. A Facebook group titled "SORRY BUT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS SUN CHIPS BAG" reached over 30,000 members as a result.
9. Take This Lollipop is an interactive film which accesses viewer's Facebook profile and locates the viewer's home from data in the profile. It depicts the dangers in posting too much personal info on the Internet. Information gathered is then deleted which makes the film different for each viewer.
10. 4chan rigged Pitbull's facebook contest so that he would perform at a Walmart in Kodiak, Alaska, a city with a population of less than 7000. Despite knowing what happened, Pitbull went through with it anyway.
When Facebook users voted for Taylor Swift to perform at a school for deaf students as a prank, the school was removed from the contest, but Swift donated $10,000 to the school, 4 companies matched her donation, VH1 gave $10,000 in instruments, and Swift gave the students tickets to her Boston concert.
12. A Minnesota burglar named Nicholas Wig was caught after he logged into his own Facebook account on a computer in the house he was robbing. The homeowner returned to find the perp's account still logged in.
13. Apple and Facebook have said they will cover the cost of freezing the eggs of female employees who want to delay having a baby while they pursue their careers.
14. A federal court in California ruled in 2016 that a lawsuit against Facebook can proceed. The suit claims Facebook is illegally collecting biometric data from people "tagged" in photos posted by other users.
15. The studies have shown that an increase in Facebook usage is heavily linked to decrease in satisfaction with your own life and a higher likelihood of depression.
16Facebook status updates
People who post Facebook status updates about their romantic partner are more likely to have low self-esteem, while those who brag about diets, exercise, and accomplishments are typically narcissists.
17. In 2009, Burger King launched a campaign that if you unfriended 10 friends on Facebook you were entitled to a free whopper. The ex-friend would receive a message explaining that their friendship was less valuable than a whopper.
18. When Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook in 2004, he bragged about people trusting his site with personal information. He called the users "dumb f*cks" for trusting him.
19. A third of all divorce filings of 2011 in the U.S. contained the word 'Facebook'.
20. In 2005, Mark Zuckerberg offered to sell Facebook to Myspace. Myspace CEO Chris DeWolfe rejected Zuckerberg's asking price of 75 million dollars.
In a Fox News interview, for Now You See Me, Morgan Freeman fell asleep while co-star Michael Caine was chatting. Freeman responded, “Regarding my recent interview, I wasn’t actually sleeping. I’m a beta tester for Google Eyelids and I was merely taking the opportunity to update my Facebook page”.
22. Facebook's first annual Hacker Cup coding challenge was won by a programmer named Petr Mitrichev at Google. He showed up at Facebook headquarters to collect his prize while wearing his Google employee badge.
23. The facial recognition algorithms in use by Facebook outperforms those in use by the FBI.
24. In 2009, a couple named Jon and Tracy Morter from the UK started a Facebook campaign to make Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name" the #1 Christmas single. The song sold 500,000 copies beating the 4 year run of X-factor winners. All proceeds went to homeless charities.
25. A stray dog named Rufus in Afghanistan saved 50 American soldiers. A Facebook group raised $21,000 to bring the dogs back to the US and reunite them with the soldiers.