One of the methods used for identifying witches in the Salem Witch Trials was to bake affected girl’s urine in a cake, feed it to a dog, and the controlling witch would then supposedly cry out in pain.
27. The amniotic fluid that surrounds an unborn baby is mostly just fetal urine.
28. One of the rarest pigments to be produced is a yellow, which is made from the dried urine of cows that are specifically only fed a diet of mango leaves.
29. 'Male menstruation' which was considered a normal part of growing up in the 20th-century Egyptian culture, was actually caused by an endemic parasitic bladder infection from schistosomes, which resulted in bloody urine.
30. The tip of a human penis has a cavity designed to make the urine stream spiral instead of a spray. It's called the navicular fossa.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
Morarji Desai, the 4th Prime Minister of India, was an avid practitioner of urine therapy and attributed his longevity to drinking urine - which he called the "water of life'' - at least twice every day.
32. Baby squirrels pee and poop in their mother's mouth so that the mother can dispose of the waste outside the nest in order to keep predators from smelling the scent.
33. Urea, a common byproduct of urine, is a common ingredient in many skincare products.
34. The eye redness and irritation while swimming in a pool isn't caused by chlorine. It's caused by chloramines, a compound which is the chemical product of ammonia in sweat and urine reacting with chlorine.
35. Due to their tight schedules, there is a growing menace of truckers in the USA throwing out gallon jugs of urine and bags filled with feces out their windows.
10-20% of Americans and a higher percentage of Europeans are infected with a brain parasite from cats that makes them 2.5 times more likely to get in a car accident, change personality traits, contribute to schizophrenia, and cause sexual attraction to cat urine.
37. Many BPA-free plastics contain BPS, a similar chemical that can affect cells in the same way. About 81% of Americans have BPS in their urine.
38. Mosquitoes pee on you. As a mosquito sucks blood, it needs to get rid of the excess fluid.
39. Astronauts lose on average 1% of their bone mass a month, most of which is excreted in their urine. They literally pee their skeleton out.
40. Foamy pee indicates there is protein in the urine and could be a sign of a serious kidney problem.
The Russian F.S.B. (formerly KGB) figured out a way to open and then reseal a tamperproof urine specimen jar to cheat in the 2014 winter Olympics.
42. Male giraffes headbutt female giraffes in the bladder until she urinates. The male giraffe will then taste the urine to see if he can mate with her.
43. The urine of schizophrenics and those with severe autism contains an elevated amount of bufotenine, a hallucinogenic chemical which is also found in psychoactive toads.
44. Researchers analyzed the staggering amounts of benzoylecgonine (cocaine excretions in the urine) found in the Po River in Italy and determined that the daily amount of cocaine being used by the people that fed into the river was 8.8lbs.
45. Medieval blue dye was made by soaking the leaves of the woad plant in human urine. Urine from men who had been drinking a great deal of alcohol was said to improve the color.
In Ancient Rome, women drank turpentine to make their urine smell sweet, like violets.
47. During the Second Anglo-Afghan War, Afghan women would use an execution method against the British where they would prop the soldier's mouth open to prevent swallowing and then take turns urinating into his mouth to drown him.
48. When Peter the Great had problems with his urinary tract and bladder in 1723, doctors performed a surgery in 1724 which released over 4 pounds of blocked urine from his body.