Johnny Appleseed (American pioneer nurseryman) planted apple trees in order to make booze for frontiersmen. The type of apple he planted was almost inedible.
2. One of the first things free blacks could grow, eat, and sell were watermelons. It became a symbol of freedom that was corrupted into a negative stereotype by southern whites and still persists today.
3. Thomas Grasso's last meal before his execution was 24 mussels, 24 clams, a double cheeseburger, 6 ribs, 2 strawberry milkshakes, half a pumpkin pie, strawberries, and a can of SpaghettiOs. His final statement was, "I did not get my SpaghettiOs. I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this."
4. Avocados contain more fat than any other fruit or vegetable. Also, the trees contain enzymes that prevent the fruit from ever ripening on the tree, allowing farmers to use the trees as storage devices for up to 7 months after they reach full maturity, allowing avocados to always be in season.
5. Evangelist Ray Comfort recorded a video arguing the banana displayed many user-friendly features that were evidence of intelligent design. Comfort retracted the video upon learning that the banana is a result of artificial selection by humans and that the wild banana is small and unpalatable.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Jams are made from fruit, while jellies are made from juice. Preserves have chunks of fruit, conserves have dried fruit or nuts, and marmalades have peel and pulp. Fruit butter is slowly cooked to a smooth consistency.
7. There are so many kind of apples, that if you ate a new one everyday, it would take over 20 years to try them all.
8. Quaker Instant Oatmeal contains fruit pieces, the strawberries and peaches are actually dehydrated apples, and the blueberries are dehydrated figs.
9. When watermelons are grilled or baked they lose their granular texture and can even be used as a meat substitute, a "watermelon steak".
10. Strawberry generation is a Chinese term for anyone who is born after 1981. Named after strawberries because strawberries "bruise easily", they can not withstand social pressure or work hard like their parents' generation.
In 2016, a Mumbai thief was force-fed 48 bananas to make him excrete a stolen gold chain.
12. All "Granny Smith" Apple trees are clones (grafted not grown) of a single tree in Australia.
13. The Bungie Studios team consumed more than 20,000 pounds of pizza, 24,000 gallons of soda and more than a half ton of bananas during the three years it took to develop “Halo 3.”
14. Holding recess before lunchtime can increase fruit and vegetable consumption by 54%.
15. Sunita Williams, Navy pilot, and NASA astronaut was the first person to run a marathon from space, running the Boston Marathon on the International Space Station's treadmill. Her fellow astronauts fed her oranges during the race.
When the bees in a region of China disappeared, people pollinated apple trees by hand using brushes made of chopsticks and chicken feathers. When humans pollinated, apple production increased by 30-40%.
17. Chipotle Mexican Grill uses 97,000 pounds of avocado per day.
18. Hawaiian Airlines lets you travel with a 10lbs box of pineapples or papaya for free on any flight leaving Hawaii.
19. Watermelons originated in Africa and were first cultivated solely for their water content. Their flavor was very bitter.
20. Ponso was a roughly 40-year-old chimpanzee, who was dumped on an abandoned island off the Ivory Coast more than 30 years ago after being used for medical testing. He relies on the kindness of a nearby villager, Germain, who dropped off bananas and bread for him ever since he was left to die.
If you microwave a sliced grape, it can explode in a fireball of super-heated plasma.
22. McDonald's franchisee invented the Filet-O-Fish as an option for Lent. McDonald's owner Ray Kroc wanted to sell the Hula burger (Pineapple on a bun) instead and held a sales contest. The Filet-O-Fish won hands down.
23. The "nut" in "Honey Nut Cheerios" used to be ground almonds in the recipe but is now made from natural almond flavoring which is typically manufactured not from almonds, but from peach pits.
24. A lemonade tree is a real thing, and it bears fruit that naturally tastes like lemonade.
25. Wild bananas are full of seeds and the ones we eat have been specially bred over the years to be seedless.