The phrase hocus pocus originated in the Middle Ages from the Latin phrase "hoc est corpus meum" (this is my body) during the sacrament of communion. Those who didn't know Latin thought they were saying hocus pocus.
27. Using sheep as subjects for Huntington's disease research, scientists discovered they are able to recognize human faces, even from photographs. Upon seeing a photograph of its handler for the first time (the sheep had never seen an image of this person before), the sheep did a 'double take'.
28. The actual name of "Shaggy" from Scooby-Doo is Norville Rogers.
29. Danny Devito did the voice of the Lorax in English, German, Italian, Spanish, and Russian.
30. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe Satan was cast down to earth on October 1, 1914, and that only 144,000 will enter Heaven. The rest of the righteous will be resurrected and enjoy life after death in a cleansed planet after Armageddon.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
20 Scary Mental & Psychological Illnesses - Part 1
Men can develop postpartum depression, and it is linked to lower levels of testosterone after the birth of a baby.
32. Brandenn E. Bremmer was a musical prodigy who taught himself to read at 18 months and played the piano at the age of 3. He completed high school at the age of 10 and committed suicide at 14.
33. Since the death of Confucius in 479 B.C., all his descendants have been registered. With over 2 million registered descendants alive today, it is the largest family tree in the world.
34. In the Netherlands, peanut butter is called pindakaas, or "peanut cheese" because of the term "butter" being a protected term for foods that contain butter.
35. Mark Ruffalo was set to appear in the movie 'Signs' but had to drop out when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. His part went to Joaquin Phoenix. The brain tumor turned out to be benign. Following surgery, he suffered from a partial facial paralysis for a few weeks, eventually fully recovering.
The U.S. Nuclear System relies on 8-inch Floppy Disks.
37. Owing to the severity of death threats from local Mafia, the public prosecutor named Nino Di Matteo of Sicily has 42 bodyguards.
38. There are Penguins that live in rainforests of Stewart Island in New Zealand.
39. We can't make up for a sleep deficit by sleeping longer another day.
40. After Winston Churchill was knocked down by a car in New York in 1931, his doctor issued a medical note that Churchill’s convalescence “necessitates the use of alcoholic spirits, especially at mealtimes,” specifying 250 cc's (8 oz) per day as the minimum.
A total of 130,000 square miles of land in Russia, or an area slightly larger than New Mexico if put together, is designated a "Zapovednik". It is a strict nature reserve where access for humans is severely restricted, and in many cases completely banned (apart from wildlife researchers).