1Sound of Music
During the filming of the Sound of Music, the city of Salzburg refused to allow Nazi flags to be hung off buildings for filming. The director threatened to instead use real newsreel footage of the city enthusiastically greeting Hitler. The city quickly backpedaled and allowed the shot.
2. While filming 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', Michael Keaton would whisper 'I'm Batman' to Tom Holland during fight scenes. He said, “we would have a fight in the movie and I punch him. He turns around and says [in a deep voice], ‘I’m Batman.’ He kept doing Batman quotes on set” Holland said.
3. While filming "Star Wars: The Force Awakens", actor Oscar Isaac specifically requested that his character Poe Dameron be a native of the planet Yavin 4. This is because the scenes on Yavin 4 in the original trilogy were filmed in Guatemala, where Isaac is actually from.
4. Mia Farrow's husband, famous singer Frank Sinatra, was furious when she landed the lead role in Rosemary's Baby. Previously, Sinatra had demanded she forgo her career when they wed, and he served her divorce papers via a corporate lawyer in front of the cast and crew midway through filming.
5. During the filming of Matilda, Danny Devito, and Rhea Perlman; who played Matilda's parents; would take Mara Wilson on outings with their family to help the actress cope with her mother's battle, and eventual death, from cancer.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
6The Wizard of Oz
Whilst filming The Wizard of Oz (1939), Judy Garland was shunned by the actors who played Scarecrow, Tinman, and Cowardly Lion due to jealousy. Her only friend on the set was Margaret Hamilton who played the Wicked Witch of the West.
7. While filming Mrs. Doubtfire, Robin Williams would walk through the streets of San Francisco in his full Mrs. Doubtfire makeup and costume, and on one occasion he visited a sex shop to buy a large d*ldo and other toys.
8. While filming The Wolf of Wall Street, Martin Scorsese suggested to Margot Robbie that her character Naomi would wear a robe to seduce Jordan. Margot insisted on being nude. She later explained: ‘‘The whole point of Naomi is that her body is her only form of currency in this world.’’
9. While Danny Trejo was filming his cameo in "The Muppets: Most Wanted!" his mother passed. The cast all offered their sympathy but he shrugged it off because of his 'tough guy' persona. It wasn't until Steve Whitmire apologized in character as Kermit the Frog that Trejo broke down crying.
10. During the filming for The Order of the Phoenix, Alan Rickman banned Rupert Grint and Matthew Lewis from coming within 5 meters of his new BMW, because during the making of the Goblet of Fire, they spilled milkshake in his other car.
Lisa Jakub, the girl who played Robin Williams' teenage daughter in Mrs. Doubtfire was kicked out of school for missing too many classes during filming. Robin Williams then wrote a letter to the principal 'respectfully requesting' he reconsider. She didn't get back in, but the school did frame the letter.
12. Steven Spielberg, while filming Raiders of the Lost Ark in Tunisia, avoided dysentery that afflicted Harrison Ford and most of the cast and crew. Spielberg's secret weapon? Suitcases full of SpaghettiOs he brought with him on the shoot.
13. Jason Statham almost drowned during the filming of The Expendables 3 when a truck's brakes failed and it plunged into the Black Sea but he survived thanks to being an Olympic-class diver.
14. While filming Pirates of the Caribbean in London, Johnny Depp received a letter from a local 9-year-old girl, who asked for help with "mutiny" against her teachers. Depp turned up with no warning at the school in full Jack Sparrow outfit but advised against mutiny.
15. While filming “X-Men: Origins Wolverine,” Hugh Jackman had to run down a hallway naked with prop claws attached to his fists. As he turned the corner he faced every woman on the production staff waving dollar bills. He instinctively shielded his groin and cut himself with Wolverine’s claws.
While filming 'Batman Begins' a drunk driver crashed into the Batmobile because he thought it was an alien spacecraft. "This poor drunken guy who didn’t have a license. [He] said he got so panicked when he saw the car that he thought aliens were landing," explained Christian Bale.
17. When Sean Connery was filming a love scene for the movie Another Time, Another Place, his co-star's gangster boyfriend got jealous and pulled a gun on him. Connery grabbed the gun from his hand and twisted the guy's wrist until he ran off the set.
18. Whilst filming the movie Entebbe, about a plane being hijacked, a plane was hijacked and landed at the airport on the day of the filming. They then filmed the real hostages being released and edited it into the movie. The producer called it a "blessing from the sky on a day of bad acting."
19. While filming The Hateful Eight, Kurt Russel mistakenly smashed a priceless 1870s Martin Guitar on loan from the museum when the prop department forgot he was holding the original. The Martin Museum says "the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances."
20. Heather Donahue brought a knife with her when filming the "Blair Witch Project" because she was afraid it was a snuff film. All of her friends and family urged her not to work on it.
During the filming of Poltergeist (1982), the clown doll nearly really killed Robbie Freeling due to an animatronic error when the clown's arm constricted too tightly around his neck. When the actor started protesting he couldn't breathe, Spielberg thought he was improv acting.
22. While filming the 2000 hit movie Castaway, Tom Hanks received a cut and got a staph infection that nearly killed the Academy Award-winning actor. The cut gave him blood poisoning. Hanks was in the hospital for 3 days and the production of the movie was shut down for 3 weeks.
23. Porgs were included in Star Wars because they had no way of getting rid of all the puffins when they were filming in Ireland.
24. During the filming of 'The Longest Day' a tank from the actual invasion of Normandy was found buried in the sand since D-Day. The tank was cleaned up and used in the film.
25. Daniel Radcliffe broke over 60 wands and went through over 160 pairs of glasses during the filming of Harry Potter.