Suicide by the volcano is an actual thing with more than 1200 people killing themselves in a single volcano until a barrier was erected.
27. In 1968, Canada gave a $3,500 grant to a 35-year old man (Joachim Foikis) in Vancouver "to revive the ancient and time-honored tradition of town fool."
28. Despite it's more than half a century old, SR-71 Blackbird still holds the official Air Speed Record for a manned airbreathing jet aircraft with a speed of 2,193 mph (3,530 km/h)!
29. In a farm in Japan (Kitagawa farm), pigs are given a green tea in place of water to help with stress relief, flavor, and potential disease.
30. Purple butterfly stickers on incubators are for infants with a twin who passed away.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
The guy who invented 5-hour energy (Manoj Bhargava) is a billionaire who has pledged 99% of his wealth to philanthropic solutions to help the developing world.
32. A man who spent 11 years (Shon Hopwood) in federal prison for robbing banks became well-known as a jailhouse lawyer. While in prison, he started spending time in the law library and became an accomplished United States Supreme Court practitioner by the time he left in 2008.
33. Japan banned beer vending machines from public sidewalks, not to prevent public drunkenness or sales to minors but because liquor store owners didn't like the competition.
34. Ninjas actually wore blue. Black stands out in the moonlight, and blue hides just as well in the dark.
35. Coca-Cola has been used effectively as a first line of treatment for phytobezoars, a trapped mass in the stomach composed of indigestible plant material which can lead to serious symptoms. 93.1% cases were resolved with Coca-cola
After her Super Bowl performance (Super Bowl XLIX), Katy Perry's lawyers tried (unsuccessfully) to copyright and trademark 'Left Shark'.
37. Tom DeLonge, the lead singer of Blink 182, opened a company with former top-level CIA, Lockheed, and DoD engineers. They want to gradually release protected information on the UFO phenomenon.
38. The city of Holland, Michigan, has 168 miles of tubing coiled underneath its streets, circulating hot water in order to melt any snow on the ground.