Facebook's facial recognition system was found to outperform similar systems used by the FBI. Where Facebook has a 98% accuracy rating in identifying faces, the FBI had a success rate of 85%.
27. Between 90-95% of meteors that approach Earth burn up in our atmosphere. The asteroid that entered Earth's atmosphere in 2013 over Russia broke 15 miles above the ground and generated a shock wave equivalent to a 500-kiloton explosion.
28. Monkeys display metacognitive abilities, which means that they are aware of their own thought process and knowledge, and seek to actively control it.
29. After the U.S. Civil War, the U.S. filed financial claims against Great Britain, claiming that their support for the Confederacy prolonged the war. A Senator named Charles Sumner demanded a payment of $2 billion but offered that the U.K. could just turn over Canada as payment instead.
30. Edmund Clint was an Indian child prodigy who in his short life of less than 7 years painted 25,000 paintings.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
31Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was actually supposed to be black. According to Roald Dahl's wife, he changed it because his agent pressured him that a black protagonist might not appeal to potential buyers.
32. Eclair translates to "flash of lightning" in French because they are often eaten quickly.
33. Out of 9 DNA samples claimed to be from the “abominable snowman”, 8 actually came from various species of bears native to the area.
34. HMS Jervis was a destroyer which served in the Royal Navy during World War 2. It did not lose a single crew member to enemy action despite having participated in 13 major actions and serving throughout the war.
35. The Former CEO of General Electrics (Jeff Immelt) used to travel in a private jet with an empty private jet following behind, in case of mechanical problems.
The Wild Boar is one of America's most problematic invasive species and an estimated 5-6 million pigs live across 35 states. They are continuing to spread.