Giannis Antetokounmpo almost had to run to a game during his rookie season. After sending his entire first paycheck to his struggling family in Greece, he didn't even have enough to call a cab. He started running to the stadium when a fan picked him up on the street.
27. Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy rejected a hotel room in 1950 as a teammate and first African-American in the NBA Chuck Cooper was denied a room due to the policies of then-segregated Charlotte NC. Cousy insisted on traveling with Cooper on a cramped overnight train instead.
28. Former NBA player Andrew Bynum was once thrown out of a team practice session because he kept shooting the ball whenever he touched it, regardless of how far away he was from the basket.
29. In the 1997 NBA Finals, Karl Malone got fouled with 9.2 seconds left in a tied game and went to shoot 2 free throws. Before he got to the line Scottie Pippen told him “The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays”. Karl’s nickname was “The Mailman”. He missed both free throws and the Bulls won.
30. Basketball Hall of Famer "Pistol Pete" Maravich died of a heart condition where he was born without a left coronary artery, a vessel that supplies blood to the muscle fibers of the heart. His right coronary artery was grossly enlarged and had been compensating for the defect.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
32 Incredible Easter Eggs You Missed in Harry Potter Movies
Wilt Chamberlain played his epic 100-point game on no sleep and on a hangover.
32. The Dream Team of 1992 received death threats in Barcelona. Charles Barkley walked around the city alone despite the threats, and when asked where his bodyguards were, he held up his fists and answered, "This is my security."
33. James Harden of the Oklahoma City Thunder grew his famous beard because he was too lazy to shave it in college.
34. Allen Iverson, besides his superstar spending habits, did not trust any bank and kept his money in plastic garbage bags in rooms in his house.
35. Dominique Wilkins holds the NBA record for the most free throws made in a game without a miss. Wilkins also won two slam dunk contests and narrowly lost a third to Michael Jordan.