Over 80% of sexually active people will contract an STD (permanent or temporarily) at some point, but most won't know it because they won't show any symptoms.
27. Wearing a seatbelt correctly reduces chance of front seat passenger fatality due to front end collision by 45%. Seat belts save lives. Also airbags are more likely to cause injuries rather than prevent them when seat belts are not worn.
28. Everyone was the youngest person alive for a brief moment after their birth.
29. The richest 1% person in the world have more wealth than the rest of the planet. The world's 8 richest men have as much money as the poorest half, 3.6 billion people.
30. By the age of 3, the average child in a professional (lawyer, doctor, engineer, accountant, economist, etc.) family will have heard 20 million more words than a child in a middle-class family and 35 million more than a child in a low-income family. Children from professional families also hear more unique words and twice as many "encouraging" vs. "discouraging" conversations than children from middle-class or low-income families.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
Over 1.3 million earths could fit into the sun.
32. Take all the known data from the beginning of human history, up to year 2003. Currently, we produce an equivalent amount of data every 2 days.
33. "Fishing is the most dangerous occupation in America (128.9 deaths per 100,000 people), compared to logging (115.7), the military (82, the leading cause being "accident"), flying (72.4), structural iron and steel working (46.4), mining (35) and policing (11.1). The average worker's fatality rate is 3.6."