1Fast and slow metabolism
The difference between a "fast" metabolism or a "slow" one is about 200 calories a day (e.g. one pop tart).
2. The difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind, not the amount of snow. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 m or 0.25 mi or less and must last for a prolonged period of time—typically three hours or more.
3. The difference between a fossilized bone and a regular rock can be found by licking them. Your tongue will stick to the fossil because the tiny pores that were in the bone will suck away moisture.
4. The difference between disc and disk. Disc refers to optical media (Blu-ray, CD, DVD, etc), and disk refers to magnetic media (floppy disk, hard disk, etc).
5. The difference between a sprocket and a gear: a gear meshes with other gears, while a sprocket meshes with a chain, belt or other kinds of perforated material.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
Room of Forgotten Souls
6Telenovelas and Soap opera
There is a difference between telenovelas and soap operas. Telenovelas end after a certain period of time, while soap operas go on as long as ratings justify doing so.
7. The main difference between a confederation and a federation is that the membership of the first is voluntary and the second is involuntary
8. The only difference between white and brown eggs is the color of the feathers and earlobes of chicken that laid it.
9. There is a difference between a Fire Engine and a Fire Truck. A Fire Engine's main purpose is to pump water. A Fire Truck usually carries ladders and tools to help the firefighters.
10. The difference between hay and straw is that hay has seeds in it, and straw is just stems.
11White and dark meat
The difference between white and dark meat is due to the difference in fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscles, respectively. This is why ground-based birds like chickens and turkeys have white meat for breasts and wings while flying birds like duck and geese have dark meat.
12. The difference between a biotechnology company and a pharmaceutical company is that while both produce medicines, a biotech company’s medicines have a biological basis, whereas a pharmaceutical company's medicines have a chemical basis.
13. The difference between Shia and Sunni Muslims is who they believe is the rightful successor to Prophet Muhammad. Sunnis believe that the 4 Caliphs that came to power after his death were chosen by him. Shias believe that he chose as his successor his cousin and son-in-law Ali.
14. The difference between the black and white rhino has nothing to do with color. The black rhino has a narrower mouth while the white, or “wide” rhino has a wider mouth which better suits for grass eating. White Rhino came from Wide Rhino as an error in translation from South African Dutch “Wijd Rhino.”
15. The difference between seals and sea lions is sea lions have ears.
16Fog, mist and haze
The difference between fog, mist, and haze is how far can we see through them. Fog obscures less than 1 km, mist obscures more than 1 km, while haze is merely the suspension of small particles in the air that give it an opalescent appearance.
17. There is a difference between an oath, an affirmation, and a promise. An oath is a commitment made to a God, and an affirmation is one not made to any God. A promise is a commitment made by a person under 17 years old.
18. The differences between Rye and Bourbon is that Bourbon has to legally be at least 51% corn.
19. The major difference between tortoises and turtles is that tortoises dwell on land, while turtles live in the water some or nearly all of the time.
20. There are actual differences between cups (lighter, thinner, 6oz, always has a saucer and handle) and mugs (thicker, more than 8oz, handle optional).
21Hurricane and typhoon
The only difference between a hurricane and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs. In the North Atlantic, central North Pacific, and the eastern North Pacific, the term hurricane is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a typhoon.
22. The only difference between Caffè Latte and Cappuccino is the ratio of steamed milk to milk foam.
23. The difference between vowels and consonants is that you impede the flow of air in some way for consonants, but not vowels.
24. The difference between hardwood and softwood has to do with how they reproduce, not the hardness of the wood, and that balsa wood - one of the softest woods - is a hardwood.