Gates McFadden, who played Dr. Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation, choreographed the ballroom dance scene in the movie Labyrinth
27. Martin Luther King Jr convinced Nichelle Nichols to stay in her role on Star Trek because of the inspiration she had become to many other people
28. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine is a huge Trekkie and has actually appeared in Star Trek twice.
29. While filming a guest appearance on Star Trek TNG, Stephen Hawking was taken on a tour of the USS Enterprise set. When he saw the Warp Core, he paused, and said 'I'm working on that.'
30. Worf has appeared in more Star Trek episodes than any other character.
Latest FactRepublic Video:
15 Most Controversial & Costly Blunders in History
Lucille Ball owned Desilu Productions and was told the two most expensive shows were “Mission: Impossible” and “Star Trek,” so they have to go.’ But she said, ‘No, I like ‘em!’ And they said, ‘They cost too much!’ And she said, ‘But I like ‘em!’ So they left them.”
32. Star Trek's planets were seeded by an ancient humanoid race and that's why the races are humanoid and physically compatible.
33. An actor who appeared as an extra in 12 episodes of the original Star Trek series and whose face can be seen clearly in at least one episode was never credited and his identity remains uncertain to this day.
34. Picard's Flute from the Star Trek TNG episode "The Inner Light" was put up for auction along with other Star Trek memorabilia in 2006. Christie's estimated the flute would sell for $300. The winning bidder paid $48,000 for the flute.
35. Star Trek' TV episodes are unusual in that syndication prices rose over time, instead of declining like most reruns, because fans watched each episode dozens of times. Their enormous popularity led to the revival of the franchise after the series' cancellation after three seasons.
Malcolm McDowell's character killed Captain Kirk in "Star Trek: Generations", he got death threats, some of them in Klingon
37. Star Trek hyposprays were invented to get around NBC's ban on showing syringes on television.
38. Nichelle Nichols did not dislike wearing Uhura's very short Starfleet uniform on 'Star Trek' (1966-1969). She later said, "I was wearing them on the street. What's wrong with wearing them on the air? I wore 'em on airplanes. It was the era of the miniskirt. Everybody wore miniskirts."
39. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz (Lucy and Ricky on "I Love Lucy") not only saved "Star Trek" from cancellation in 1966 but also helped produce it.
40. Some fans of Star Trek: Voyager remember an episode where Chakotay died and was brought back several episodes later without explanation. When asked about this episode at a convention, Robert Beltran said that his character had never died and that he had no memory of such an episode.
In Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Ferengi were initially created to succeed the Klingons as the new villainous arch rivals of the Federation. After their debut episode, they were rewritten to subsequently be comic foils due to producers finding their appearance comical and non-threatening.
42. Patrick Stewart was so skeptical about the success of "Star Trek" that he didn't unpack his bag for six weeks.
43. The developers of 'Star Trek'(2009) hosted a screening in Austin publicized as that of 'The Wrath of Khan'. A few minutes into Khan, the film appeared to melt and Leonard Nimoy appeared on stage with the hosts, asking the audience, "wouldn't you rather see the new movie?" before a preview.
44. Las Vegas Almost Built a Full-Scale USS Enterprise From STAR TREK. The project had to fund but was blocked by the CEO of Paramount.
45. The 'Warp Core' shown in "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is not a set piece or prop, but actually the experimental nuclear fusion reactor at The National Ignition Facility.
Kim Cattrall, while filming Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country, posed for photos on the Enterprise bridge wearing nothing but Vulcan ears. Fearing harm to the franchise, Leonard Nimoy had the photos destroyed.
47. The worst Star Trek Next Generation episode is widely regarded to be "Shades of Gray". It was a previous clip show created due to a lack of funds left over from other episodes during the second season and the writer, Maurice Hurley, refers to it as a "piece of shit".
48. The Bat'leth (a Klingon sword from Star Trek) is classified as a weapon and has been used in several real-world crimes
49. An episode of Star Trek The Next Generation was banned in Ireland and the UK because it referenced how Ireland was unified in 2024 after a successful terrorist campaign
50. Being a Star Trek fan can get you a $500 college scholarship from an organization called Starfleet.
Great stuff Great stuff Great stuff
One day, we will build a spacecraft and we will name it the U.S.S. William Shatner
A well deserved accolade.
#94 is BS. Lucille Ball could not have prevented the cancellation of STTOS in 1964 as the series did not premier until 1966! What she did in 1964 was, when the network didn’t like the first pilot for the series “The Cage,” she used her clout to get NBC to go along with a second pilot, which aired as the episode “Where No Man Has Gone Before.” NBC liked the second pilot and picked up the series. It premiered in September 1966.
#46 – The movie title is correct (The Undiscovered Country), the sequence number is not. It’s Star Trek VI, not IV.
The ‘Hypospray’ may have been fictional, because it was self contained, but the method of using high pressure to force medication through your skin was already in use prior to Star Trek. The Army was using it in 1959, and school kids were being immunized with it, in the early 60’s. The only difference was an air hose powered the piston that did the injections. This allowed a production line process, as hundreds of people walk past workers who cleaned the injection site, and another who did the injection. The process was not only faster, but the injector was more accurate that individual syringes since the injector was self metering. All Star Trek was replace the air hose with a compressed gas cartridge. That was only possible, because it would only do a few limited shots without being reloaded.