50 Facts About Animal Motherhood
By: Fact Republic
1. 50% of Panda births result in twins, but Panda moms almost always abandon one.
Therefore, Zookeepers have to switch the cubs every few hours to trick the mom into caring for both.
2. Killer whale mothers often stay with their adult sons for their entire lives, sharing their prey & knowledge.
The mother might also play a direct role in fostering mating opportunities because they really really want grandchildren.
3. When mother otters dive for food, they wrap their babies in giant kelps to ensure that they won’t float away.
4. If a lamb dies, you can dress another lamb with its skin, and the mother of the dead lamb will accept it.
5. When a female warthog suckles a new litter, each piglet has its own teat, suckling exclusively from it.
Even if a piglet dies, others piglets do not suckle from the available teat.
6. Baby koalas have to eat their mother's feces for the first few months of their lives.
This is due to the fact that the young ones cannot yet fully digest and break down the toxins in eucalyptus leaves.
7. Pandas will sometimes fake pregnancies to receive more food and special treatment from humans.
8. Giraffes give birth standing up, requiring the newborn to fall 6 feet to the ground.
9. You should always check a dead mama opossum's pouch for babies.
Just because the mom is dead doesn't mean the babies are and a wildlife rehabilitator can potentially save them.
10. Female dogs can have a False Pregnancy that mimics the symptoms of a real pregnancy, including producing breast milk.
Click here to read whole article