50 Horrible Facts About Colonial Governments
By: Fact Republic
1. The Spanish colonial authorities in Cuba castrated "sodomites" and forced them to eat their testicles covered in dirt.
2. In 1834, the British East India Company arrested 100s of local weavers in Bengal & had their thumbs chopped off to destroy their indigenous weaving industry & favor British textile exports.
3. In 1919, Reginald Edward Harry Dyer, without warning, ordered his men to fire their rifles into a crowd of unarmed Indian civilians.
The crowd had gathered to peacefully protest the inhumanities of the colonialist government.
379 people were killed in the ensuing massacre which included unarmed men, women, and children.
4. During the Belgian colonization of Congo, the colonizers demanded severed hands as punishment for Africans who failed to fulfill rubber collection quotas.
Because the quotas were so unrealistic, severed hands themselves became a currency.
Soldiers were paid their bonuses based on how many hands they collected.
5. In 1600s, early colonies of America offered bounties for the heads of natives, and later for just their scalps.
The bounty in 1746 was offered to British-allied Indians for the scalps of French-allied Indians.
In 1755, the price was £40 for a male Indian scalp and £20 for scalps of females or children.
6. The Indian Rebellion of 1857 started because the East India Trading Company was asking its Hindu & muslim soldiers to bite the seals of their ammo cartridges.
They were sealed with pork and beef fats. This was against their religious beliefs.
7. Each mile of Indian railway construction in the 1850s & 1860s cost an average of £18,000, as against the dollar equivalent of £2000 at the same time in the US.
The extra costs were collected by the British colonizers from the Indians through added taxes & revenues.
Click "View More" to read the whole article